Rolling practice in Grand Junction? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

New Castle, Colorado
Rolling practice in Grand Junction?

I just moved from the Glenwood area to Fruita, anyone know of any pools that allow for rolling practice in the area?

Also, for the summer, is there any good whitewater in the area? Or am I better off just heading back upstream for day trips?

Thanks!

JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I'm not a hardshell boater, but we moved here a few years ago, and I don't know of anything in Fruita, but there was talk about there being pool time at CMU in the past, hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
cmu has kayak pool time usually ever Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 I believe I havenít been in a while but the outdoor program hosts it even if ur not a student and there is some local whitewater nothing really above class 2 when the snow starts melting in between 32rd to 24rd. if ur looking to play boat we do get some standing waves at certain flow levels also Montrose whitewater park, and if ur wanting something more extreme west water if an option if you can get a pass or ask some people on here to tag along hope that helps!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

I went to Montrose whitewater park and it's quite good there.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper42 View Post
cmu has kayak pool time usually ever Monday from 7:30 to 9:30 I believe I havenít been in a while but the outdoor program hosts it even if ur not a student and there is some local whitewater nothing really above class 2 when the snow starts melting in between 32rd to 24rd. if ur looking to play boat we do get some standing waves at certain flow levels also Montrose whitewater park, and if ur wanting something more extreme west water if an option if you can get a pass or ask some people on here to tag along hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, I'll check out CMU. I will definitely love living closer to Westwater as well!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Commercial Paleontology
GJ roll classes

Yes CMU allows you to bring boats into the pool on Mondays in the spring semester but I not sure if its entirely the whole semester. I dont think there is an actual instructor but just boaters to help out.

There are a few runs around the area depending on your level of boating. Plateau Creek is good when running & is of a lower level run. Buzzard Creek which flows into Plateau is a definite step up but good depending on the flow...though it can have strainer issues. Escalante Creek steps it up more but is an awesome run when it flows. As mentioned there is Westwater... permit needed depending on the time of year. Up river from Westwater is Ruby Horsethief basically flat water.
Kanah Creek runs some years but is stout. After that more driving would be needed.

GJ is in the process of building two play features down at Las Calonias (sp) park & should be ready for the spring runoff & I am certainly excited about that.

Over the years 5th street has a couple waves to surf though river dynamics have changed so its very tempermental depending on how the CO flow & the Gunny flow match up & was only in a few days this past year

Right up from 29 road there has been a few waves to surf that came in back 6-7 years ago when we had some very high water & scoured out the bottom but once again rivers dynamics have changed that area. The river is braided there so not sure exactly what has reversed the change but I always keep & I on it to see if more change has occurred to bring them back in.

Good luck in the upcoming season & you will learn more from folks at the pool sessions.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG87 View Post
I just moved from the Glenwood area to Fruita, anyone know of any pools that allow for rolling practice in the area?

Also, for the summer, is there any good whitewater in the area? Or am I better off just heading back upstream for day trips?

Thanks!
Are you by chance a veteran? We have a Team River Runner Chapter in GJ as well as Montrose that hold regular pool sessions throughout the winter. It's for vets but we are always looking for experienced volunteers to help teach and run safety. Hit up Jeff at [email protected] if you are interested.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Montrose rec center allows kayaks from 8-10 on Saturdays, but it costs $5 and you are supposed to call ahead of time.

The water park here is great and not too far from GJ. There are some great runs on the Gunnison and its North Fork. Escalante Creek is close and supposedly really good IV+/V boating but has a short season.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #9

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschap View Post
Are you by chance a veteran? We have a Team River Runner Chapter in GJ as well as Montrose that hold regular pool sessions throughout the winter. It's for vets but we are always looking for experienced volunteers to help teach and run safety. Hit up Jeff at [email protected] if you are interested.
Thanks, but I am not a veteran, nor am I experienced enough to teach others. Sounds like a great group though.