Roll Critique - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2012   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Roll Critique

My wife is having a hard time trying to roll, maybe some advice from the buzz? It's obvious a couple times she isn't keeping her head down, any other tips?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Her sweep is coming across the body and for sure her head needs work. Try some goggles and have her watch the blade stay on the surface and through the hip snap.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Your wife needs to sweep out to the side, not down. Stick her in the boat on dry land, flip her onto her back into the set up position and have her try to roll, you will learn immediately how to sweep.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
I agree with the other posters the sweep needs to be at the surface and perpendicular to the boat. Every missed roll seems to be missing that last little bit to get up. Try feathering the blade of the paddle so that the blade is going up as you sweep out it will help her stay at the surface of the water through the sweep.
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #5

chicago, Illinois
think of the sweep as straightening the arm then extends it to the side, and to reach for the sky, if the elbow is not straight, it might be a sign of pulling the blade down,
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Punching badly with the left arm. Pretty common and easy to fix. Bring the left arm across the chest. Watch videos of success and keep your eye on their left arm, her paddle can't dive if the left arm doesn't punch up or straight out.
Old 07-31-2012   #7

Columbus, Indiana
It looks like there is almost no hip snap going on. It looks like she's just too stiff and is bringing her body to the surface before the boat is snapped up.

I'd concentrate on hip snaps.

Also, keep that active blade up closer to the surface before the hip snap.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
It looks like there is almost no hip snap going on. It looks like she's just too stiff and is bringing her body to the surface before the boat is snapped up.

I'd concentrate on hip snaps.

Also, keep that active blade up closer to the surface before the hip snap.
Yep, no snap. Have her hip snap off the bow of your boat without her paddle.
Old 07-31-2012   #9

Columbus, Indiana
Also agree with the punching comment. She's punching with her left arm, which is causing her active blade to dive quicker than it should.

This is causing the paddle to be perpendicular to the water by the time she's almost right side up. But at that point, she's about out of water to push against, and that causes her to flip back upside down.

So:
Hip snap
stop punching
concentrate on a getting the active blade closer to the surface of the water before hip snapping

Good luck. She's almost got it. Just a couple adjustments.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ok...so I agree with everything everyone has said so far....however....I teach the roll a TON for RAGuides (5 years now) and one big thing that really thing that helps the beginners that come to me is using their knee. If she has ever taken a kickboxing class or a self defense class - have her think of it as a straight up motion with her right knee. Have her JAM it up into the thigh brace as hard as she can. Have her stand on land, take her right knee and uppercut it (have her pretend she is jamming her knee up under an attacker's jaw). Sorry for the violent visualization, but it works for a lot of people. As long as she JAMS that right knee up and continues to press it into the thigh brace towards the sky until she is all the way upright, she should have an easier time hip-snapping. The knee is EVERYTHING yet it is seldom taught. It will give her a lot of power and confidence. Lots of people respond well with this technique.

Very nice set-up and her head is not that bad. She just need some more POWER and some follow-through with her blade. Knee. Knee. Knee. KNEE!
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote