Rogue River - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-04-2018   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Rogue River

Looking for something different for self support kayaking. It's permit season and was looking at this river. There will be no front rangers included.

-Is it worth the drive from Colorado?
-What section? Is the permit section up top? Do you boat to the ocean?
-What dates are best?
-How many days?
-Can a douche bag with a raft come?
-Anything else?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
Looking for something different for self support kayaking. It's permit season and was looking at this river. There will be no front rangers included.

-Is it worth the drive from Colorado?
-What section? Is the permit section up top? Do you boat to the ocean?
-What dates are best?
-How many days?
-Can a douche bag with a raft come?
-Anything else?

Thanks

Yes it is, but 21 hours of road time.
I would go after permit season closes Oct 16 or later
84 miles 3-5 days easy boating plus about 20 more if you go to ocean. To ocean is possible for a kayak, very hard for a raft (it is frog water)
A douche bag in a raft, dory or anything other can come if he can put up with a kayaker's ego and being a support boat
Fishing is only fair in my opinion.
There is a lot of water above the permitted put in and lots of access if you can self shuttle for any kind of boat. Only 2 rapids to even think about when running the river, rest of it just nice scenery.
If you go early during permit season there are 3-4 lodges you could stay at and let them do the cooking and get a hot shower.

Keep in mind that I am a front range douche bag and probably lied about everything in this post
Old 12-05-2018   #3

Covington, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
Having done the permit section this fall (9/27-10/1)…..
• If you like scenic trip, it is worth the drive. If you are a thrill junkie, less so
• Would stick to permit section but I do not have experience above or below permit section. Even permit section has long sections of low flow at low water
• Permit season is my only experience. Have been told permits are easy after labor day weekend
• I did it in 3N/4D. Long days in froggy water. Will do 4N next time.
• Bear proof things. Several gamma buckets did not make the takeout in one piece.
• Two main rapids, one has easy work around, one does not.
• Possible to combo lodges in with camping other nights
They are trying to get rid of riverside toilets, need to carry.
hammer131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018   #4

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
If you want to pick up the pace a little, try a couple days on the North Fork of the Rogue. I put in at the Natural Bridge. There's a class 5 drop, Knob Falls, that would be a healthy thing to Portage. Down river a ways you'll come to Takilma Gorge, that should get your blood pumping. The last stretch to the resivor I've seen rafts on.I wouldn't try a raft on the upper sections. The best time to hit the Rogue is when Oregon isn't burning. It seems to have become a yearly thing lately.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018   #5

Fieldbrook, California
Paddling Since: 1995
The permit section is a great trip. Plenty of mileage above and below the permit section that can be paddled but motor boats are allowed down stream of Blossom Bar (jet boat tours, ugh) and upstream of the permit put in (Grants Pass area). I went late August a couple years ago and got rained on 2 of the three days. Similar to Hammer, I would take more days to enjoy the trip next time. Bears can be an issue, especially below Blossom. Our chihuahua was nicknamed "Coco the Bear Slayer" after chasing away a bear on 2 occasions. The BLM rents portable electic bear fences and some sites have them permanently. Saw several self support kayak groups and the 2 big rapids (Rainie Falls and Blossom) are pretty managable by kayak.
Melvinboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Is it a good trip, yes, is it worth a 20+ hr drive to put in, maybe if you haven't done it before, maybe (if you tie it in with other activities pre-post trip).
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Go in the spring. Pre-permit and shoot for 5k-7k at the Agness gauge. This is drastically reduce the ammount of "Flat" water. Adds downriver current and cuts down on the paddling or rowing.
Ive gone as high as 20k and have always had fun.
Great camping ETC. If you are a class 4-5 boater tie it in with a Illinois trip.
That will be your highlight. Trust me.
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018   #8

Seattle, Washington
Agree with the Spring season timeframe for a Rogue area trip, and a goal of adding a lap on the Illinois.

Have you considered the Jarbidge/Bruneau? No reason you can't self support kayak the permitted trips, but usually permitted rivers tend to be raftable III-IV. Look for smaller rivers, with tricky access or shorter seasons to get off the beaten path a bit.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote