Rogue or X-Jacket - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Rogue or X-Jacket

It's time for a new dry top and I've narrowed it down to the Kokatat Rogue or IR X-Jacket. Everyone says Kokatat but the X-Jacket looks bomber. Anyone have an X-Jacket that can help me out with this?

Cbrown327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008   #2

I will say that my Rogue has been a POS.

I got it last season, paddled about 3 weeks on it and the neck gasket blew.

Sent it in to get fixed. I got it back and about 2 more weeks of paddling on it before the waterproofing on the sleeves was gone.

Put another 4 weeks of light boating on it and the neck gasket blew again.

I take good care of my tops and gaskets. I realize that if you paddle a lot you're going to go through gear but if I drop over 4 bills on a top I expect to get 1 full season on it.

I would strongly urge anyone to NOT buy a Rogue. My .02.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I just picked up an X-Jacket and it looks sick!

I've seen this jacket for a few years and decided to go with this over the Kokatat. The boys at IR stick behind their product like no other company in the industry. If you're not happy with the purchase, let them know! They will make it right for sure.

Everyone I know with the X-Jacket loves it. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. But, you know which way I went!

Scott McCorvey
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I got a rogue towards the end of '04 or '05, and it is still going strong. I slammed it against a cliff last year and ripped through it, my shirt and my shoulder. I certainly didn't fault the jacket for ripping, and they did a quick turn around with a nice and cheap repair. I don't get to boat as much as I used to but I have been happy with it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I probably put 100 days on my Rogue last year and it has been bomber. My one and only complaint is that the fring stiching came out but that isn't something that has effected the functionality of it. I called Kokatat and they said they would fix it for free but it hasn't been that big of a deal for me. After about 30 days it lost most of the water beading but it has always been 100% dry and I haven't had any problems with the gaskets.
Old 04-07-2008   #6
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
IR=ta ta's

Used the X for last coupla seasons. I love the Jacket, super super comfortable and it keeps me pretty friggin dry. No problems with the gaskets. And yes it looks sick.

Big fan of the company as well! A while back IR tracked me down over what i think was the first generation of Xjackets(maybe??) that I bought from the Mountain Shop. I guess there was something wrong with the seem welding or something....I walked into the shop one day and they said "Hey, I got a new drytop for you". I didn't even know there was anything wrong with the first one but for them to send a replacement to me when I didn't even ask...Niiiiiice.
Old 04-07-2008   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Rogue is an amazing jacket, I love it.
Old 04-07-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
and the winner is...

I'll take any advise from a fellow georgian.

I've dealt with IR before and they certainly stick to their shit. Just look at their customer service page. They're just boaters making gear for boaters. I'd rather support that than some company that's been around for 50 years or whatever it is.

Thanks dude,

Conor Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
I just picked up an X-Jacket and it looks sick!

I've seen this jacket for a few years and decided to go with this over the Kokatat. The boys at IR stick behind their product like no other company in the industry. If you're not happy with the purchase, let them know! They will make it right for sure.

Everyone I know with the X-Jacket loves it. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. But, you know which way I went!

Scott McCorvey
Cbrown327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #9

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I just posted on the IR customer service but in case you missed it. Have an X jacket which I love, and there are no stitches so you don't have to worry about them coming undone. It is bomber and IR customer service is the shit, like a girl on the 28 day.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
my nrs top outlasted and out performed my others in all categories. especially keeping me warm and dry. also know 2 others that love theres and you can't go wrong with there price. i had a ir and after about 20 runs the arm pits were starting to rub and it actually started seperating the fabric. my nrs is top quality and thats' why i bought another.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote