Rockwood Box TRESPASSING protocol - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2009   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Rockwood Box TRESPASSING protocol

First of all, you all know the rules already.

I just had a conversation with a Sheriff at Rockwood becuase there are some people not respecting the rules and this should serve as a reminder. It seems the engineers are calling EVERY time they see trespassers and have called at least 3 times in the past week.

Just so you know it is ILLEGAL to hike the tracks into Rockwood. The charge for recreational trespassing comes with a fine and a court appearance! DSNGR will not accept the liability of allowing us to use the tracks.

CRS 18-4-504 relates to "Third Degree Trespass", which constitutes either a petty offense, misdemeanor, or felony depending upon the classification of the property involved, and the circumstances of the trespass. This statute requires a Court Appearance. Upon conviction, fines can range from $50 to $750 and can include a sentence in county jail. (private property also does not necessarily have to be posted in order for trespass laws to be enforced)

It seems we have not had a problem for years out of respect but there is one developing. If I were you I would not walk the tracks before 11:30AM or after 2:30PM till 6:30PM especially during the summer and super fuckin especially within the next few weeks. Understand that they are pissed and the cops are now also there on patrol.

Please do not ruin our "access" by disrespecting protocol, the DSNGR, and the boating community to which you belong.

DO NOT walk on the tracks before 11:30am
DO NOT walk on the tracks from 2:30PM to 6:30PM

c-u-in the box and be safe

admin it would be nice to see this as a sticky for a week or two b/c it is especially important right now

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009   #2

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Why not pay the $100 for the season pass. That way you don't have to walk the tracks, trespass, dodge the trains or end up with a ticket. And your'e fresh at the top. If you paddle the Box 20 times that's $5 a pop. I think it's a nice offer from the train do something like this considering they didn't have to. I think they were trying to come up with a reasonable option for dealing with these conflicts. I think this is a better protocol than saying F---- the train, I'll take my chances.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
So does this mean it is generally okay to hike the tracks between 11:30 and 2:30, and after 6:30pm? Or just that your chances of getting caught are less because the trains won't be around at those times? What is the Sheriff's opinion on how to access Rockwood? Will they not charge you in those "safe" times? Please clarify, thanks.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
I don't see how the train pass will help you get out of rockwood. You still have to cross a small section of tracks. Maybe for the put-in, but that is a lot for a short run.
Old 07-23-2009   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
It doesn't cost much to put your boat on the train. They will drop it off at Cascade- you get to hike in and extend the run to include Lunch and Dinner box. Hang out at the takeout until after the last train.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Ryan,
It is never generally okay to trespass. That being said I can say the trians into and out of rockwood depot are "almost always" through at those times. Last train to Silverton Departs Rockwood before 11:30am and the last train back from Silverton departs rockwood before 6:30. This is summer schedule and the winter trains are much less frequent. The sherriff in the past has said such things as you suggested but after last nights conversation they are agreably sick of it and he was not nice at all. Two boaters hiked against the trains earlier and were called on, had we been in the tan truck I am pretty sure we'd have gotten a ticket. Since we were not the ones called on he did not have much choice but to scald us and let us go.

DE you bring up a good point. Perhaps that is why they did the $100 pass. However I am to understand that they sold out within a few hours and also someone mensioned they may not do it again. I can add that you would then have to be at rockwood before 11:30 to catch the last train up. What about after work box sessions?
Old 07-23-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The season pass is useless for afterwork runs, which is whole point of doing Rockwood by itself.

Someone should at least let the train's customers know that those cute kayakers that they all waive to are being prosecuted by the Train.

The point is, don't hike until after 6:30, and no, its still not legal.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The exposure being brought upon by folks hiking the train tracks in and out will ruin ALL runs accessed from this parking lot. There's a trail out of Rockwood that has two options: the first one is to stay in the draw which will lead you to the parking lot (original trail), the second one forks off to the right and takes you up a scree slope to the tracks where you end up hiking out several hundred yards of railroad property (newer version). Opt out for option one. Stay in the woods, use the older trail, be smart, stay in stealth mode, and please keep in mind how much the local paddling community hits these runs. If you're from out of town and don't have a clue, call someone for the beta.
Cops at the parking lot...WTF!!!!!
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
I was just wondering if you did hike after 6:30 if the Sheriff would be there waiting for people to bust, or if everyone has gone home by that time and everything is cool. I know Sheriffs who would enjoy that sort of thing.
Old 07-23-2009   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwave View Post
There's a trail out of Rockwood that has two options: the first one is to stay in the draw which will lead you to the parking lot (original trail), the second one forks off to the right and takes you up a scree slope to the tracks where you end up hiking out several hundred yards of railroad property (newer version). Opt out for option one.
He is not talking about the hike out but the hike in. One legal hike in is from Haviland Lake on the worlds hardest trail to find - or one could hike in to Cascade. When running rockwood we usually load gear on the train to Cascade and then hike or train people to this point as well.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, rockwood, sheriff, trespass