Rock Slide in Glenwood Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-08-2010   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Rock Slide in Glenwood Canyon

I-70 in Glenwood Canyon closed due to large rockslide | PostIndependent.com

There was another large rockslide in Glenwood Canyon last night. The article says the largest boulder is 66tons. Looks like it took place right at Upper Death/Life After. The article also says they will need to blast some of the rock before it is moved. Do they haul it away or throw it over the side?

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010   #2
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
they should have that cleaned up in only about 10 years or so judging by how long it took them to build that road.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
this is not good. that looks like some real damage, might take a few weeks to open?
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010   #4

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
they should have that cleaned up in only about 10 years or so judging by how long it took them to build that road.

Leland
Really? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #5

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm guessing months...holes thru the bridge deck...straight thru (one hole 6'x6'...other lane 10'x20') I design and build roads with CDOT...thats gonna take awhile.

I would say thru the summer for both lanes to open..
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #6

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
I'm guessing months...holes thru the bridge deck...straight thru (one hole 6'x6'...other lane 10'x20') I design and build roads with CDOT...thats gonna take awhile.

I would say thru the summer for both lanes to open..
I agree it is going to be a long time before both directions are open. A 10' x 20' hole through that pecast structure did some serious damage to the structure. Remember all the sensitivity they have to exercise when working in the canyon when it comes to plant life and damage. I imagine they will have to replace the worst section of the bridge and that will not be an easy task at all. The 6' x 6' in the lower might be fixable. CDOT's site has 4 good pics.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
this is not good, what do they think this will do for traffic both ways? closed permanently? i hope not. what about detours? anything reasonable? i'm nervous... was looking forward to sho-sho and glenwood wave early season. fuck...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
One thing is lucky...it occured coming right out of the Hanging Lake Tunnel, where all the lanes are on one platform.
Maybe they have one lane of traffic with a flagger and delays using the paved shoulder. The next step would be to fix the that 6'x6' hole first (few months?) this would then divert two lanes of traffic to one side of the road. Lastly they would have to fix the massive hole for 4 lanes of traffic to open (half a year ??)

i would say some serious delay thru the summer. They do plan on allowing traffic during the repairs. HWY 50 over Monarch is now jacked and closed due to gaper traffic...only wyas around are Hwy50-Monarch and thru the Riflle-meeker detourium

There is more info and additional pictures on Glenwood Post website
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #9

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I'm thinking some west sloper set off a charge up in them thar hills ...just to keep the front rangers off the rivers out west now that runoff season is just around the corner! Let's see if the CDOT boys get that hiway fixed before the flows drop to tubing level

Be careful what you ask for...
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #10

Golden, Colorado
I hate getting delayed with stop and go traffic in that canyon. That place is a game of Russian Roulette.

When I am parked in there for the latest overturned semi from Arkansas people are getting out, stretching, walking their dogs down the road, smoking cigs, peeing off the side, and all I can do is look up and watch for the avalanche of rocks coming to kill us all.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote