Roaring Fork Flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2013   #1

Roaring Fork Flows?

Looking to head to the Roaring Fork Valley this weekend. It looks like Slaughterhouse is running but the gauges below for Woody Creek/Toothache are much lower. Is there a diversion there? Are the gauges incorrect? Can someone enlighten me about that section being runnable in the next few days? Thanks in advance!

scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013   #2

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Looking to head to the Roaring Fork Valley this weekend. It looks like Slaughterhouse is running but the gauges below for Woody Creek/Toothache are much lower. Is there a diversion there? Are the gauges incorrect? Can someone enlighten me about that section being runnable in the next few days? Thanks in advance!
Using this gauge?

American Whitewater - Gauge - ROARING FORK RIVER BELOW MAROON CREEK NEAR ASPEN

I ran it on Tues at ~380. Super low but totally doable, really fun. Supergnar hair boater coulda boofed the falls, but the piton placement and lack of alternate lines had us walking around.

There are diversions below Woody Creek, but we still ran that lower ~4 mile section. Probably wouldn't bother with that part again, but hope to hit Slaughterhouse at least once more this year.
Old 05-24-2013   #3

Thanks Mikesee. I was looking at this gauge:
American Whitewater - Gauge - ROARING FORK RIVER NEAR ASPEN, CO.
The gauge for Slaughterhouse is currently showing 667 cfs but this gauge below for Woody Creek is showing 195 cfs. Just trying to figure out if the river is runnable below Slaughterhouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013   #4

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I ran it on Tues at ~380. Super low but totally doable, really fun. Supergnar hair boater coulda boofed the falls, but the piton placement and lack of alternate lines had us walking around.

dont need to be a supergnar boater to run falls, it goes fine at any level, go left. Flows will be good this weekend, and everything below will go too. The gauges on AW are f'd up for below, there is more water than in slaughter, snowmass creek adds to flow and few other small tributaries. have fun
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #5

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yes, something is wrong with that gauge. It only gets bigger as it runs down hill. no significant diversions.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013   #6

Thanks guys! Looking forward to some Roaring Fork Valley boating this weekend!