Roaring Fork access fee?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2008   #1

Duhrango
Roaring Fork access fee??

Fees on the Roaring Fork? I seem to recall that there had been some type of access fee put in place for the Roaring Fork river. In particular we were looking at doing the Cemetery run sometime this weekend but not sure what the fee is or what itís about and how much and where to pay.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I searched some older posts about the RF but could not find the posts that mention the fee. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008   #2
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Fees on the Roaring Fork? I seem to recall that there had been some type of access fee put in place for the Roaring Fork river. In particular we were looking at doing the Cemetery run sometime this weekend but not sure what the fee is or what itís about and how much and where to pay.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I searched some older posts about the RF but could not find the posts that mention the fee. Thanks!

It's true, any state owned land on the river requires a $10 permit. If it applies to where you are puttin on or taking out, there will be a sign. A fishing license covers you as well. Last year there were DOW officers handing out tickets. It even applies if you are just dropped of by a shuttle driver.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
The DOW fee is BS. It's called a habitat stamp and is only $5 for 1. The thing is, they charge you for 2 as that is the total required for total payment. A fishing license has 1 included, a hunting license has 1 included or you can buy them for the $5. I know the Carbondale COOP carries them as do most of the fly fishing shops. Might as well get a SAR hiking Cert to go with it.

I just happen to disagree with this way of funding public lands management. FEE DEMO and such is CRAP
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I will pay them with a tea bag on the chin. If there are facilities, I can understand having a fee. Other wise, I feel I have already paid for use of public land with my taxes.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #5

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
In somewhat of an agreement. I will gladly pay 10$ to park, if they are maintaining the put-in, and any other environmental impacts directly related to that area. It is nice to have access for the handicapped, and other facilities such as bathrooms. However I would enjoy seeing the ameneties, if they're in place.

My two cents.. before I fly out to Reno~!
Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #6

Duhrango
Thanks for the beta. I assume that the Black Bridge put in would have a fee for using it? Big deal, they have a port-a-potty.
Old 05-07-2008   #7
No seas pendejo

Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
I boat the Fork all the time and I have never seen a ranger or any request for payment.
Old 05-07-2008   #8

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I would hope that the 10$ fee isn't just for a porta potty! I have been stopped by DOW once, before I even kayaked! I was flyfishing and I was only 13. But thats it. But again, if they would make improvements to the area (parking, actuall maintenence, litter control, and real bathrooms), I could see a 10$ a year, or like a 20$ a year park pass, but 10$ a day would be stiff, and I would probably not kayak the fork, and just go to shoshone becuase of that case.

My 3 cents, from DIA airport!

BG
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Never Ever . . .

I have been boating on the Roaring Fork for years weekdays after work and weekends and I have never seen a ranger. There are no facilities besides maybe that one porta potty!?
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I too am on the fork all the time and I've never seen or been asked by a ranger to pay a fee. I would likely decline to pay, however, because it is public land with no noticeable facilities or improvements.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access