Roadtrip to South America - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Roadtrip to South America

Im dreaming about something that I know a lot of you have dreamed about before, a roadtrip down south. I wanna go on an epic boating mission starting here or Cali and ending in Chile taking 6 months at least and need some help coordinating the seasons. Obviously it would be best to start here in summer and head south, ending in Chile in fall but I don't really know how that would work coordinating all of the boating seasons in one trip. What are optimal boating seasons for all countries south of here and what runs are must do's that you've done or dreamed about doing? Help me plan the most epic roadtrip ever...

Thanks

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i call shotty in your truck and i hope denver transit or whoever the fuck you work for is buying the gas
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #3

Leadvillian, Colorado
I'm not trying to be a dick and ruin your dream, but don't do it.

Fly to Ecuador and paddle for a month or two and then hit the whole season in Chile. You'll save money, time, and maybe your life.

If you're dead set to cover the continent then fly, ferry, and bus with as little kit as possible. Go to known paddling destinations and rent gear.

Border crossings with a vehicle and ferrying around the Darien make the dream of traversing the continent impractical unless you have a lot of time and most importantly money. My $.02 from limited experience in CA/SA.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011   #4

Leadvillian, Colorado
btw - to better answer your ? as far as seasons - from her to Peru is always good (tropics) southern SA has the opposite season of us - usually middle of December you can count on water.
Old 05-05-2011   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Or skip Mexico by putting your vehicle on a ferry from Galveston to Honduras. Boogie across to CR and begin the adventure there.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #6

It has been eluded to in the above posts...... but not made clear. It is actually impossible to drive across central america. The Darian Gap that was mentioned is the area where the road does not go. I was very surprised to learn this myself some time ago. Lots of information online of how to make it across.

Don't listen to all these buzzkills from the city. Get your adventure on. Lots of good information on ADVrider.com on travel thru south america....... geared to motorcycle travel but the boarder crossing stuff is good.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #7

Leadvillian, Colorado
Quote:
Or skip Mexico by putting your vehicle on a ferry from Galveston to Honduras. Boogie across to CR and begin the adventure there.
that's not a bad idea, Honduras and Guatemala both have some boating - google the Cangrejal in Honduras and the Cahabon in Guatemala - Nicaragua just got their first outfitter last year

remember that "boogie" would involve two border crossings that each require a minimum of 3 hours and can last 3 days

if you hired me to plan this trip for you the first thing I would do is price those ferries (Panama to Ecuador being the required one) and fuel costs for the mileage - remember that any rig that would make it the length of the continent would be considered "luxury" by CA standards and make you a target. They have guns and you don't.

Quote:
Don't listen to all these buzzkills from the city.
I can't let you get away with that one... although divulging that you just realized the Darien exists pretty much pegs your experience level

A couple of big name kayakers, one of the guys is from Park City, Utah... I think his name is Seth Warren, drove it in a converted fire truck that they ran on biodiesel - I'd try and read up on that expedition if you really get serious at least to see where they stopped to boat

my original suggestion mostly comes from the fact that there's a lot of bad roads between here and there and not a lot of good paddling

surfing would be a different ordeal entirely, probably still not worth it, but better

If you really get serious, pm me and I'll tell you what I know about the borders in C.A.
Old 05-05-2011   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick and ruin your dream, but don't do it.

Fly to Ecuador and paddle for a month or two and then hit the whole season in Chile. You'll save money, time, and maybe your life.

If you're dead set to cover the continent then fly, ferry, and bus with as little kit as possible. Go to known paddling destinations and rent gear.

Border crossings with a vehicle and ferrying around the Darien make the dream of traversing the continent impractical unless you have a lot of time and most importantly money. My $.02 from limited experience in CA/SA.
I agree. Border crossings with a car are a nightmare. I've done it once to Costa Rica and I wouldn't do it again.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #9

we drove to costa/panama - we had your idea but, as others have mentioned, getting your car around Darien is very expensive.

I disagree with the skip mexico part - for my money the best boating in central america is in mexico. Plus mexico has better food, people, culture, history, all of it. Three of us made the trip, we boated in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa, and Panama, and we were all in agreement that Mexico was our favorite part for what its worth.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
For 3 season, I traveled to Honduras from British Columbia via Colorado driving pick ups in a caravan with friends. We lived down there and traveled all over C.A. looking for new rivers/runs...do it!!!! It's a blast. Everyone knows Mexi has awesome kayaking especially in Chiapas. Guatemala has killer boating as well. In Honduras, the entire north coast around La Ceiba (where we paddled) has many California-esque rivers filled with smooth granite. Just keep going south and pay attention to the weather.