Road Condition to Mineral Bottom? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2009   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Road Condition to Mineral Bottom?

Launching from Mineral Bottom on the Green this coming week and was wondering what the road is like for truck/long trailer as well as passenger cars. I here the switch backs at the end are really tight and that the road is crap. Cruiser or hairball?
Thanks.

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Define "long trailer"

Every time I've been there the road is fine for a normal car with at least some clearance. We drive our vans down with a trailer carrying rigged 18' boats. It's pretty steep though, so we never take down two trailers at once, or a van full of people with a loaded trailer, in interest of not having a brake failure. Lots of trips up and down that way, but looking at the car that slid off the side and got left there is good reinforcement to be careful. Stop at the top and peer over the edge for upcoming truck/trailer combos before you descend, you can almost always find a pull-out large enough to let a car pass.

Enjoy the trip!
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
More on the "hairball" end of the spectrum owing to lots of exposure, and tight switchbacks but its an easy enough road to get up and down. Blindfold anyone that's afraid of heights. Seeing the carcassas of old wrecked cars whose drivers weren't paying attention among the rocks between the switchbacks adds to the experience.

I've driven it in a Subaru wagon loaded with gear so you don't need lots of clearance. As for how long a trailer you can take down it, you may want to call some of the Cat outfitters and talk to them about what can go down the road. I'm sure if they can get down there with big rigs, you can too.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
Define "long trailer"

Every time I've been there the road is fine for a normal car with at least some clearance. We drive our vans down with a trailer carrying rigged 18' boats. It's pretty steep though, so we never take down two trailers at once, or a van full of people with a loaded trailer, in interest of not having a brake failure. Lots of trips up and down that way, but looking at the car that slid off the side and got left there is good reinforcement to be careful. Stop at the top and peer over the edge for upcoming truck/trailer combos before you descend, you can almost always find a pull-out large enough to let a car pass.

Enjoy the trip!
I have a full size dually quad cab truck with tandem axle car trailer. I kind of figured the horror stories were from those that are afraid of heights! Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Thanks Andy.
Old 10-17-2009   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I passed a bus w/ a short trailer on the road in,once. He seemed to make it fine. I would def. be aware of people coming around corners though. WOuldn't wanna be backin up there too much.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #7

i am not normally afraid of heights, but that is a sketchy road. Of course we did it on a moonless night in a suzuki that didn't quite have the braking power to stop the fully loaded trailer we were hauling.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
I have a full size dually quad cab truck with tandem axle car trailer. I kind of figured the horror stories were from those that are afraid of heights! Thanks.
You'll have no problem with that rig as long as you don't mind the view. Heck, you've even got an extra tire in case one hangs over the edge! Keep your eyes peeled for people coming the other way so you can pick a pull-off to allow passing.

And follow the road signs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2021  
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Tag-a-long took us down in a school bus towing a trailer full of canoes and sea kayaks. We had to pull to the outside of one of the switchbacks to let some suv's pass who didn't see us coming down.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009   #10

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
That road is AWFUL... Worst night ever
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote