Rivers near Denver CO for beginner kayakers - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Rivers near Denver CO for beginner kayakers

im getting my first kayak soon and looking for rivers to go to in spring and i dont wanna drive two hours to get to one if i dont wanna stay on the water all day. I have my roll down and have done class II stuff but i also like a bit of a challenge

qbrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Lots of good resources out there. I'd recommend getting "Whitewater of the Southern Rockies". A lot of good CO info also dumped into riverbrain.com.

Here's a short list:

Play parks are a good starting place at various nearby towns:
Golden, Lyons, Denver Confluence (bring your nose plugs, ear plugs, & shot of whiskey), Union Chutes (Englewood).

River running:
North st vrain above Lyons for good class II or III+ if you put in a little higher.

Most of Clear Creek canyon will be a little too difficult, but you can do the short stretch from the Tunnel 1 to Golden.

In the 1-1.5 hrs drive time are:
Poudre, sections: Bridges, Lower Mish, Filter plant class II & class III
NF South Platte, Foxton section, class III (IV-)
South Platte, Deckers section class II
South Platte, Waterton class III-IV
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Lots of good resources out there. I'd recommend getting "Whitewater of the Southern Rockies". A lot of good CO info also dumped into riverbrain.com.

Here's a short list:

Play parks are a good starting place at various nearby towns:
Golden, Lyons, Denver Confluence (bring your nose plugs, ear plugs, & shot of whiskey), Union Chutes (Englewood).

River running:
North st vrain above Lyons for good class II or III+ if you put in a little higher.

Most of Clear Creek canyon will be a little too difficult, but you can do the short stretch from the Tunnel 1 to Golden.

In the 1-1.5 hrs drive time are:
Poudre, sections: Bridges, Lower Mish, Filter plant class II & class III
NF South Platte, Foxton section, class III (IV-)
South Platte, Deckers section class II
South Platte, Waterton class III-IV
sweet man thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2016   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
Good list from Kevin there. Despite being shallow and rocky, I've always thought that Foxton is one of the more rewarding beginner runs, especially since everything can be so easily scouted or portaged.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could add Boulder Creek town run and Idaho Springs town run( below Outer Limits to Kermit's) to that list...only slightly further- U .Blue 3-3+,
lwr. Blue 3-, upr'.Gore Crk, lwr .Tenmile, lwr .Snake,Minturn,Eagle below Edwards to Wolcott ,Lwr.Eagle below Tressle rapid,and the closest and easier parts of the Ark-Salida to Parkdale and Parkdale...Pueblo playpark..I think you can run from Canon City to Pueblo Res as a classII

South Platte through town ,not just Confluence and Union,has some playspots,the cleanest water and most popular part is C470 to Reynolds Landing in Littleton...parts of Clear Creek through town ,bike scout it
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Also don't underestimate the difference between high and low water when you are still learning. A run that was very mellow and easy in the beginning of the season can easily turn into something way over your head with little to no eddies or chance of recovery once the rivers start surging.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Also don't underestimate the difference between high and low water when you are still learning. A run that was very mellow and easy in the beginning of the season can easily turn into something way over your head with little to no eddies or chance of recovery once the rivers start surging.
oh ok thanks for the advice i didnt think of that
Old 01-25-2016   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
There was a recent post from the CWWA about some instruction programs they are running. Learning the right basics and getting set up with their cruises is the best way to get started.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think you can run from Canon City to Pueblo Res as a classII[/QUOTE]

There is a river wide water diversion somewhere in between, after Reynolds take out,I've never been past Reynold's myself, but have heard about the water intake, you will want to take out above that, and put in below it if you run the whole section, sounds like by the time you see it, it is kinda to late. (maybe some one else has additional info?)

Jog's my brain to an old saying that you should keep in mind as you boat more stuff " If in doubt, scout", If you don't see the line, or if something is just making you uncomfortable about a rapid, then pull over and check it out,I don't Know how many times that one has saved my butt running new sections.
Old 01-25-2016   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
From Reynolds down to Union is one of the most boring parts ,and where the water quality seems to get worse,but there are no hazards,unless very new...not sure about Ark above Pueblo..except there is some runnable part,..would not be surprised if there was a dam or other man-made hazard...it is low gradient you should be able to easily see them and stop...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote