rivers in late April - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
rivers in late April

Due to my brother having a kid, my bachelor party got cancelled. We were originally supposed to go hang out in Colorado April 27-29th.

Since I have the weekend free I figured I might try to make a trip out to do some paddling. I was wondering if there is usually anything flowing at that point. I'm inexperienced so I'm looking at class II-III.

I was thinking something in the front range if possible, as I will be driving 11 hours to get there anyway, (how much is it to check a kayak? Maybe I will look at flying).

The other thing I was considering is a swift water rescue class if there is one going on.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

N00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The South Platte above Denver should have a couple options for you. Waterton is pretty much always running and ends in a reservoir if you have problems...above the confluence the South Fork South Platte has the Deckers/Chutes stretch, good class II with one easy III.

Another option is the Arkansas near Canon City. There is a playpark in town, as well as the II-III Texas Creek to Pinnacle Rock, and the class III Parkdale run nearby.

These will both likely be at pretty low flows, but between the 2 you should be able to find suitable whitewater.

There are a couple other options such as the Upper Colorado and Shoshone that will have enough water to boat, but are a little farther away.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Those are good suggestions and I have no clue why you would cancel a bachelor party just cause you brother is having a kid. People been having kids for a long, long time.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
I didn't cancel it, he did. We had been planning for about 6 months, but once the kid popped out, he changed his mind and decided he couldn't be away from home for 2 nights.

I just want to have a good time before I get hitched.
Old 01-01-2012   #5

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Sounds like the river will probably be more fun than anything your BIL was planning.... Just because someone has a kid(s) doesn't mean all life stops. But whatever. Who am I to talk?- I have 3 of them.... Congrats and have a good time.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #6

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
The Salt in AZ should be running at that time or the lower Owyhee In OR. Both feature deep canyons and class 3 rapids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00B View Post
Due to my brother having a kid, my bachelor party got cancelled. We were originally supposed to go hang out in Colorado April 27-29th.

Since I have the weekend free I figured I might try to make a trip out to do some paddling. I was wondering if there is usually anything flowing at that point. I'm inexperienced so I'm looking at class II-III.

I was thinking something in the front range if possible, as I will be driving 11 hours to get there anyway, (how much is it to check a kayak? Maybe I will look at flying).

The other thing I was considering is a swift water rescue class if there is one going on.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
The Salt in AZ should be running at that time or the lower Owyhee In OR. Both feature deep canyons and class 3 rapids.
I wouldn't count on the Salt still running the very end of April, especially if they don't get anymore snow.....he did say close to the Colorado Front Range too...kinda rules out Oregon.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #8

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
The rogue is always good and the illy
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers

I wouldn't count on the Salt still running the very end of April, especially if they don't get anymore snow.....he did say close to the Colorado Front Range too...kinda rules out Oregon.
You're right, Oregon is out, so is Arizona. The front range is about an 11 hour drive for me, so that is where I'm limiting it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 01-02-2012   #10

If you are sticking to the front range, check out the Poudre canyon sections for quality. Much better camping than the South Platte stuff. Although Denver usually has better night life options... er, strip clubs. Seeing as it's a bachelor party.