Rivers in Ciudad Valles, Mexico - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-12-2003   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Rivers in Ciudad Valles, Mexico

Can anyone recommend any raft/kayak outfitters in Ciudad Valles region in Mexico? Also, does anyone know of any good surf (both kayak and board) beaches on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, in the area of Manzanillo/Puerto Vallarta?

Thanks,
BullSCit

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003   #2

Central, Colorado
see the other thread...

... I think that Agua Azul (owned by Grant Amaral) is the only outfitting company. He never returned my phone calls when I was down there, so I cannot really say anything good or bad about the services he provides. There was a starting rafting company a few years ago, but I don't remember their name, or if they had anything to do with kayaking... sorry.

Also read: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=172

tom.
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003   #3

Park City, Utah
A Couple Questions for You Tom

Tom,
I checked out your Slackerdom reading a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like you had a great trip. I have been in that area several times, and have also found the people incredible. I am going to be down there next week with a couple of guys and I thought we would try some rafting or some easy kayaking if we can find some, as they have never kayaked before. I remember when going back into Valles from the west on Highway 70, that there are a bunch of rafting signs that point up to the north. Do you know anything about that? We are only looking to do a days worth of something out there. But then we are heading towards Manzanillo, and I was wondering if you have any knowledge of that area, down on the Pacific Coast. Looking at the maps, there are several rivers over there and some 4,000 meter high peaks in the area, so I was hoping it could be nice.

Thanks,
Bull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003   #4

Central, Colorado
some links

Hey, cool, glad you liked my trip report. It was a good time. Well, I looked around and found the name of the company that was getting formed. Their name is Aventura Huasteca, and you can find their web site at:

http://www.aventurahuasteca.com/intro.htm

I found that links through google -- and this page has more links to other outfitters throughout Mexico:

http://www.amtave.org/members.htm

I haven't done anything at all on the Pacific side, so I cannot help you there. Maybe one of the AMTAVE links will help. I have spent a 3+ weeks in the Veracruz region, though, so if you head that way I should be able to give you some more info.. Have a great trip,

tom.
Old 11-12-2003   #5

Park City, Utah
One More Question

Tom,
Thanks for the website for Adventura Huasteca, as I just talked to the guy and am trying to get a package going. Is there a difference in how they rate the rivers down there? Because the package we are going for is a Class 3 raft, and a Class 2 kayak. Is this the same as Class 2-3 on the Arkansas? Because here are the two runs they would do:

1 Descenso en Kayaks en el RĂ*o Micos Clase II
1 Descenso de Rafting RĂ*o Tampaon Clase III

And the kayaks are inflatable, which probably isn't too big of a deal, especially if we are dropping some cascadas.

Thanks for any beta,
Bull
Old 11-12-2003   #6

Central, Colorado
sweet :)

hey Bull, that sounds great I think that the ratings seem reasonable -- I'm not sure what they mean by Rio Micos.

If they mean the "Cascadas Micos" section, I wouldn't call that a class 2 -- IMHO, no waterfall is. That's probably a class 3 run, after all, there are hardly any consequences, and the water is deep, and none of the landings will recirculate you.

Rio Micos might be simply another secion of Rio Valles -- it's all the same river, but it's called different names in different places by different people.

Rating Tampaon a class III sounds reasonable as well... So I think it sounds good. I'm curious how much are they charging you per person -- ballpark.

tom.
Old 11-12-2003   #7

Park City, Utah
Prices

Tom,
The prices are quite reasonable. It is around $270 per person for two nights lodging at the hotel we were going to stay at anyway and three activities (rappelling/rafting/kayaking) plus 6 meals and guide service/equipment and local transportation. We have stayed at that hotel before, and it is around 80 bucks a night, so all sounds good.

Thanks again,
Bull
Old 11-13-2003   #8

Last winter when I was kayaking down there we ran into some mexican raft guides who were kayaking the micos on their days off. Don't know if this is the same company, but I assume so. They were all super nice and fun to paddle with. Their english was marginal at best, but it was still fun. I'd say that if these are the guys you will be with, that you are in good hands.

The top part of the micos has many significant waterfalls that I would not have wanted to do as a beginner. However, the guides told me that they take customers on the lower section (below the waterfall run), which is a lot easier and safer. I've never done it, but I heard it was class 2.
Have fun,
Jennifer
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003   #9

Park City, Utah
Info About Rio Tampaon

Jennifer/Tom,
Do either of you have info on the Rio Tampaon, which is the river south of Highway 70? It supposively is Class III, and we were hoping to do some waterfalls or something in that general area.

BS
Old 11-13-2003   #10

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
play or creek?

my griends are going down to san luis potosi this january and i was wondering if it is better to bring the creek boats or the play boats. we plan on running the waterfall section on the micos, and other similiar runs.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote