RiverGypsies photo contest vote 1 winner. - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2008   #1
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
RiverGypsies photo contest vote 1 winner.

We have a winner from the first vote:

New Page 1

Leland

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The Gypsie Family.

I love that it's called the River Gypsie Photo contest. Where did it get its name? When I was a kid, I loved FIBArk, knew everyone, and fell in love with the sport of kayaking. I had so much fun that I would be so sad when it was all over. I always thought of those traveling kayakers as my Gypsie family. Then, I never guessed that someday, for a few years, I would travel all around the country and world with that Gypsie family. Now, nearly a decade later, I remember the anonymous quote ~ " Don't cry because it's over; laugh because it happened!"
Old 01-22-2008   #3
River Gypsy

It gets the name from the guidebook we're working on: The River Gypsies' Guide to North America."

It's going to be a destination paddling guide to 10 highlight regions across the continent. It will cover the top 20-25 runs from class III-V in each region that you might want to catch when traveling there, and also include info on where to camp, where to find showers, where the good local burgers and brew are located, etc. We'll also have tables that help you decide which is the best time to visit each area and other handy info like that.

It's coming sometime between the end of 2008 and spring of 2009.

The photo contest is designed to help us get more photos for the book so that we can hopefully have photos of all of the 200+ runs that it covers.

It's our dream project to bring this together, and we get a little closer with every photo submission that we get.

Leland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
River Gypsies Guide to North America

How Cool! Guide books are so much fun! What rivers do you want to include from Colorado? Any ideas? Gotta have the numbers, what about Clear Creek, Lake Creek, etc.? What do you have in mind?
Old 01-30-2008   #5
River Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid Dreams View Post
How Cool! Guide books are so much fun! What rivers do you want to include from Colorado? Any ideas? Gotta have the numbers, what about Clear Creek, Lake Creek, etc.? What do you have in mind?
Thanks for that!

If you scroll through the lists of high and low probability runs on the photo contest pages, you will see the Colorado selections.

Basically we'll be doing some Durango, Ark Valley, CB/Gunny, and Poudre Drainage. We'll throw in Bailey and Gore for if you're there later in the summer. I paddled in Colorado every summer from '98-'06, a couple of times for pretty full seasons, so I've feel like I'm local enough to have a handle on what folks will want to hit when they visit from out of state.

We definitely need some more Colorado photos.

Leland

Tags
contest