Riverboards banned in Dinosaur - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Riverboards banned in Dinosaur

FYI the asshole rangers in DNP have banned the use of riverboards. If they see one at the loading ramp, they will make you leave it behind. Penalty is a stiff fine and bans from future trips.

Alpnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Maybe the ranger can come on here and explain.

After I got back from my two month trip from Flaming Gorge to Lake Mead the Lodore ranger sent me a message saying sorry he missed me at the boat ramp on my launch date, that he really wanted to talk to me about my Mountainbuzz comments about a ticket he wrote some Buzzards for floating the section above Lodore. He basically told me that it's too bad he missed me he was hoping to harass me.

The thing is, he wasn't there. I'm glad, but he should have been. I called the ranger station from Crook Campground upstream and told them we were running late because of weather difficulties, but we would be there in time to launch at some point the next day (our launch date). Now if you were a ranger and a group contacted you, telling you they were having difficulty making time in the storm upstream (within park boundaries), and the group had payed hundreds of dollars to float Lodore, wouldn't you want to make sure they made it OK? Especially if you were planning on harassing them, as he later informed me. He just doesn't give a fuck.

The results are in. The Lodore ranger (MMDave) is a giant douche bag. He doesn't care about boaters' safety and he is vengeful and sarcastic. It's time for a change. I encourage anyone experiencing difficulties with this prick to contact his superiors and complain.

I'm calling my homeboy at Secretary Salazars office tomorrow.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
we have had major problems with rangers there also. i dont remember a dave but i do remember a doug ross. dude was possibly a little ill. everyone was wearing lifejackets through island park and he still came and inspected them and said some werent approved, a lecture and threats of citation ensued. then, he followed us and layed over at jones with us. came into camp for a second lecture about the same issue with more threats of citation and it culminated with him pounding himself in the head, hard, saying "stupid,stupid, stupid" (as he pounded himself), about the whole"fishing life jacket" thing. most of the fishing PFDs are approved type 3 (not sure if ours was). i think he had a hard on for dory guys or something, which i certainly understand, but should the ranger be bias?? these guys get paid to float the river over and over again. you would think they would be happy to make sure everyone is having a good time and be laid back about all but the most serious of saftey offenses. if he had been at the ramp to check us in, he could have caught the spare fishing jackets. they had real ones on through the rapids by the way, this is island park we are talking about. a coke bottle would keep you afloat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009   #4
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
SUP

Matty for 10 Mile Kayak in Frisco told me that SUP boards are banned from Lake Dillon as well. It seamed like the perfect spot, but not as far as the law is concerned.
Old 09-04-2009   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The NPS: "Protecting river bums' shins from rocks in Low-Dore since 2009"
I'm not sure I see the safety reasoning behind banning a piece of gear originally designed for performing rescues. If they want to keep people safe, they should mandate the use of shin guards for anyone with a riverboard on a 400' wide river with 1000cfs in it.
For what it's worth though, if you can manage to thread your way through all the rules it's a really well managed system from an ecological footprint perspective, and it's still less arbitrary than the Grand.

And with regards to Doug, he's a really good guy, I just think the sun gets to him sometimes. One summer a few years back he would hide out in the eddies below the dam site and pretend to be a cop behind a billboard when we floated by - using a rubber chicken in place of a radar gun. It was damn funny, so maybe the sun got to me sometimes too...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #6

Aspen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Matty for 10 Mile Kayak in Frisco told me that SUP boards are banned from Lake Dillon as well. It seamed like the perfect spot, but not as far as the law is concerned.
I think it is because Dillion is Denver's drinking water and they don't like the idea of your body stewing in it. You can pump your boat's bilge out and they are ok with that though.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

i am typically very supportive of the rangers and know many of them, including former dinos. dino is the one place and lodore imparticular, i have had bad to very bad experiences with rangers. i dont know what it is about that place, but if it's the sun, dude needs to get a bigger hat. good guy or not, his behavior was down right obnoxious and as unprofessional as it can get.
Old 09-06-2009   #8

Decatur, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1973
They used to forbid c-1s. Are they over that now? OC-1s?
ezwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Those bitches need to respect the right to float.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
sounds to me like he has a small penis
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote