River stretches with bicycle shuttle possibilities... - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-26-2020   #21

Quote:
Lucky for me Numbers and Fractions are within 10 miles of my house.

Lucky indeed. Even when counties open it puts a wrench in logistics. Normally we drive up one car and then hitch from grassy knoll to stealth or granite. Same w/ a lot of other rivers. Can't imagine much hitch hiking this summer.

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #22

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
I think Westwater on the Colorado Utah border is one of the best bicycle shuttles. Easy permit, easy shuttle. Think they are currently allowing only day trips but that will probably change soon

Westwater is closed to all activity, as is the Moab Daily, which is considered to be the stretch from Cisco to Moab.. They will make a decision on May 8 as to how long the closure will last.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #23

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by treewell View Post
Lucky indeed. Even when counties open it puts a wrench in logistics. Normally we drive up one car and then hitch from grassy knoll to stealth or granite. Same w/ a lot of other rivers. Can't imagine much hitch hiking this summer.
We got out for some paddling yesterday using trucks and face masks for a socially distanced shuttle. When we were loading up a ranger stopped by and was very friendly. Just asked if everyone was ok, and told us to have fun.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020   #24

Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Westwater is closed to all activity, as is the Moab Daily, which is considered to be the stretch from Cisco to Moab.. They will make a decision on May 8 as to how long the closure will last.
FYI, I just got an e-mail from the Moab BLM office. As a private boater, you can run the Moab daily. You just can't camp unless you are a county resident. It's fully closed to commercial operators, though.
wdeutsch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #25

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I float through the Grand Valley with bike shuttles regularly. Not exciting whitewater but nice despite being in a semi-urban area. There's a bike path from Loma to Palisade with numerous public access points. If you're not from here, please be nice and leave some money behind in the restaurants (once they open), gas stations, etc.
Old 04-28-2020   #26

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeutsch View Post
FYI, I just got an e-mail from the Moab BLM office. As a private boater, you can run the Moab daily. You just can't camp unless you are a county resident. It's fully closed to commercial operators, though.

Directly from the BLM Moab...

The Moab Daily section of the Colorado River (Cisco to Castle Creek/ White's Rapid) is not available for anyone but primary residents of Grand County, Utah (for camping and day use). This is through May 4th per the Health Order issued by the Southeast Utah Health Department.
Thank you and stay safe! __________________
BLM - Moab Field Office

From this thread...
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...tml#post770049

Posted 16 hours ago.... SO, unless you live in Grand County UT, you're SOL
Old 05-01-2020   #27

Durango, Colorado
Isn't San Miguel county closed to non residents? Thought I just saw a pic of a sign stating that. I'd imagine you'll get a lot of shade from folks in the placerville area if you're coming up that way with out of state tags.

Yeah, the animas in Durango is going for now- boats full of people going down the river the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised to see them close access down if that keeps up. And the CO governor has stated "stay within 10 miles of home to recreate" as part of the safer at home order. Depending on the county and the sheriff, your out of state tags would make big bullseyes.
cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #28

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
Isn't San Miguel county closed to non residents? Thought I just saw a pic of a sign stating that.

It is, and you did. Some folks seem to think they are above the law, have no respect for others, and their rights to recreate supersede my right to not become infected and die.. What a wonderful world we live in
Old 05-01-2020   #29

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
I think Westwater on the Colorado Utah border is one of the best bicycle shuttles. Easy permit, easy shuttle. Think they are currently allowing only day trips but that will probably change soon
Agree 100% w this. Works great. Take some water. Can be a thirsty ride.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #30

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBrian View Post
Selway River. Of course, if you wait until after May 15, you need a permit, but there are some early cancellations sometimes if the road is bad enough.

Only 14h 41m of brutal muddy snowpacked mountain biking to run the shuttle.
For the truly committed!

Or you could go over Lolo Pass and back down through Darby. Might take longer than the river run.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote

« Shipping kayaks | - »