River knives staying in thier sleeves - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2009   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
River knives staying in thier sleeves

Last week I bought the NRS Co-Pilot knife. I ran 2 sections fine & on my 3rd run when I took out I noticed my knife was gone. I had it mounted horizontally on my Astral 300.

Is this a fluke deal or is that knife release design flawed?

Anyone else experience this sort of deal? Sucks I paid $50 for a knife that I used once to open a beer for someone.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #2

This happens a lot with river knives, especially rafting. You will see a lot of people who have thin stretchy cords tied through the handle of the knife with a loop that slips around the tip of the sheith.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #3

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Some of those sheaths are cretainly better than others. happens alot being pulled back in and climbing back into rafts. That surface of your pfd not a great place. (if thats where it was...) Have had mine on my shoulder strap for 20 years no problem
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I lost my Gerber river knife of 15 years last year scouting Castle Creek, and I had the thin bungy cord on it. I think the thick brush popped it off of me. I carried it handle down with the bungy over the tip.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I have a gerber knife and I just installed it onto it's third PFD. I would say I have had the knife for 14-15 years with out a problem. I even have it mounted vertically to make it easy to reach with either hand. So either you did not have the knife secured properly, or the design does not hold securely enough. I would keep that in mind when looking for a replacement. Nothing would be worse then needing the knife and reaching for it only to find it gone!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I lost my Gerber river knife of 15 years last year scouting Castle Creek, and I had the thin bungy cord on it. I think the thick brush popped it off of me. I carried it handle down with the bungy over the tip.
Ditto that setup for 18 years now after losing two knives my first year of guiding I came up with that and haven't lost one.

Several times I have heard clunking or felt something funny and looked down to see the knife still in sheath but dangling a bit. Thank God for small bungy cord.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #7

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
If people lose them so easily why doesn't a company make them a little harder to get off. Maybe a 3 point release system. Ya its a little more difficult to get it off but at least you know when you need it its still on your vest.

I personally don't like the idea of me rolling, accidently releasing my knife & now its held on by a tether as I finish a rapid. One thing I know is I won't buy another NRS knife. I need to see a Gerber in person but I am leaning toward that.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #8

The teather just keeps it in the sheith. If the knife is far enough out to cut anything then the bungie has to have come off. You just slip the loop over the top of the sheith to take it out.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #9

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I know a lot of people who wrap a rubber band around it. Emergency situation, the band will snap, otherwise, it is a backup for the sheath locking it in.

Check out the Bear Claw too. Heard a lot of good things, and there was a post on here by a guy who thinks he would be dead if not for its design.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #10
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I do the rubber band trick and also attach the sheath on my vest so the handle is up--that way gravity isn't working against me--and it still seems readily available (Bearclaw on an X-tract).