River Dog on the Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-02-2012   #1
DVK

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
River Dog on the Grand Canyon

Maggie Dvorak | Facebook

Maggie the river dog, has got her papers that have allowed her to go on the Green River in Utah (Desolation and Gray Canyons) where currently dogs are not allowed (they are now drilling for oil there, but no dog poop!) due to her "therapy dog" status.

I am curious if anyone has used these credentials to take a river dog on the Grand in recent years. Need to get some feedback asap, as our launch date is nearing, and if much paperwork is needed then that process needs to begin post haste. Thanks for your thoughts.

DVKEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
The short answer is yes. A friend of mine took here dog down. But that's all I know.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #3

Hi,

Page five of the regulations says, "P. Pets - No cats, dogs, or other pets are permitted on a raft trip."

But in view of the post immediately above, I'd have the permit holder call the river office and ask them if service animals are excepted. That's the only way to get an authoritative answer.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012   #4

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
You can also play the ADA card.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
This once came up on another forum and i recall the answer was no.
Old 09-02-2012   #6

The problem is if the dog therapy fails an expensive helicopter ride out is needed. That expense is on the shoulder of the NPS.... That expense is passed on to the tax payer..... The NPS is usually unwilling to take that chance.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Taking your dog down the Grand is stupid and irresponsible. If you aren't of sound enough mental health to be without your "therapy dog" you sure as hell don't belong on a 3 week river trip.

How about accepting the rules, understanding why the rules are there, and not trying to scam the system for your dog. You get to run the Colorado, that makes you special enough. The fact that the dog has a Facebook page already makes me wonder about the owner....
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #8

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Taking your dog down the Grand is stupid and irresponsible. If you aren't of sound enough mental health to be without your "therapy dog" you sure as hell don't belong on a 3 week river trip.

How about accepting the rules, understanding why the rules are there, and not trying to scam the system for your dog. You get to run the Colorado, that makes you special enough. The fact that the dog has a Facebook page already makes me wonder about the owner....
Second this. The use of real service dogs, such as the blind use is valid. Having a fuzzy friend who loves you unconditionally is not real therapy and is just a scam to bypass the rules. I have friends who did this same thing in their dog free condominium association. Their "therapy dog" is an untrained pet, nothing more.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
A quick google search for "therapy dog scam" had this for the first article. Some pet owners try to skirt rules with fake service dogs - Sun Sentinel
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVKEXP View Post
Maggie Dvorak | Facebook

Maggie the river dog, has got her papers that have allowed her to go on the Green River in Utah (Desolation and Gray Canyons) where currently dogs are not allowed (they are now drilling for oil there, but no dog poop!) due to her "therapy dog" status.

I am curious if anyone has used these credentials to take a river dog on the Grand in recent years. Need to get some feedback asap, as our launch date is nearing, and if much paperwork is needed then that process needs to begin post haste. Thanks for your thoughts.
Please obey the rules and just leave your dog home for that trip.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote