River Conditions Upper Ark/Buena Vista? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2014   #1

River Conditions Upper Ark/Buena Vista?

I was at the BV River Park this AM and it looked like it was up some from a few days ago. But the flow page on MB does not have any numerical value yet. But the gorge is at 515 cfs. That puts BV at ? Any better page to look at? Looks like about 350-400 today. Anyways, it looks really good for early season paddling

I also stopped at Pine Creek and then peaked at # 1. Looks great too. I can not confirm any ice anywhere else on the river. Anyone else? Had a few ladies tell me they ran the #'s on Saturday and had a blast.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014   #2

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Everything is open. I paddled Friday and would guess that it was 275 or 300 cfs. Meeting at CKS at noon today if anyone wants to join us.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #3

B.V., Colorado
Ran through town and the new boat chute yesterday. Most waves are at a decently fun level, including the new ones made at the silver bullet. That might have been my first time not running left at the damn dam. Saw mating pairs of mergansers, mallards, Canadian geese, and even a few wild turkey hens.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow, yeah its up more. 359 at Granite right now (below Granite is still off). That puts around 375-400 in the river at BV. This is the site to use for all gauges in the basin:

Division
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #5

Yep, I was going to say 400 cfs, thanks for the link. Was back down at the BV Park tonight. Looks really fun. Had several people talking about heir fun runs and long surf rides in the park.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152250021534720&set=o.44711534532 1114&type=1&theaterČif_t=like
Old 03-17-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
400 CFS in March is great, but I really hope we're not missing it in August...forecasts aren't sounding all that promising....

"Most of the models do show more active weather during the last week of March, but that's 10ish days away, which is considered "fantasy land" when it comes to trusting model forecasts.

Overall, I don't see a consistent period of stormy weather coming up anytime soon, but I also can't rule out an additional powder day or two between now and when lifts stop turning because late March and April can often throw us a few good storms in between stretches of warm and sunny weather."

The Colorado Daily Snow | OpenSnow
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #7

The next zone, .
Earl - all the "warm" water getting released has melted all the ice from Twin Lakes down.

Get out out and on it folks as when we get to April and May we will be lucky to see half of what is in the ditch right now.
Old 03-17-2014   #8

Here is a quick video of the flows as we speak at the Buena Vista River Park
Old 03-17-2014   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
Earl - all the "warm" water getting released has melted all the ice from Twin Lakes down.

Get out out and on it folks as when we get to April and May we will be lucky to see half of what is in the ditch right now.
That and a good streak of really nice weather in Late Feb and early March. I don't remember significant flows coming through town (Salida) until just within the last week or ten days, and the ice cleared from the hecla/seidell's section before that.

What makes you think the flows will decrease by half over the next six weeks? The weather is only getting warmer (for the most part) and the days longer from here on out. Snowpack is hanging in there (admittedly a long way to go), especially upstream in Lake County. ARK Basin appears to be at 107% of average, for whatever that's worth.

I'm hearing reports of a full (or better) allotment of water for the RICD flows. Even to the point where the Chaffee BOCC is inquiring to special interest groups like FibARK and others as to when they might want to see the flows implemented.

I don't understand the doomsday prognostications of low flows in April/May, what am I missing?
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #10

It’s not runoff that’s currently causing the increased flows, but the decision of the BOR to move water between the Upper Ark basin and Pueblo.

From CPW fisheries recommendations flows should be staying below 400 CFS at Wellsville now, but there’s a critical period from April 1 – May 15th that they want the flow below 400 and even lower would be better.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, buena vista