River Books? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-21-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
River Books?

So, I just finished "There's This River" which is now one of my favorite books. I've read "Down the Great Unknown" and "John Wesley Powells's Life and Legacy". What are some other good river books.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010   #2

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
River Books

Those are both good ones, read them this past year.

I really got into "the Doing of the Thing" which tells the incredible story of Buzz Holstrom and the first solo decent down the Colorado River. Also features stories of Salmon, Rouge, Green and even a full West to East trip starting with the Columbia and traveling all the way to New York City!

Long book, worth your time!

MN
bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Brothers on the Bashkaus is a great book about a bizarre rafting trip in the Altai in Russia - very fun read. The Very Hard Way biography of Bert Loper can be tough slogging at times, but is good to get a feel for early river trips in the desert canyon country.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010   #4

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
Bucket52 is right, "The Doing of the Thing" is a great read and Buzz Holmstrom makes most of us look like super lightweights. Fretwater Press is a small publishing house and all they do is river books. I also highly recommend "Sunk Without a Sound".

The author of these books and owner of Fretwater is Brad Dimock, one of the most experienced Grand Canyon guides of all time. He's still working down there. He did the first descent of the Little Colorado back around 1980 (60 mile class IV+ canyon that runs into the GC). In addition, he was one of the early pioneer rafters in Chile. Here's a link for you...

The Doing of the Thing The Brief, Brilliant Whitewater Career of Buzz Holmstrom by Vince Welch, Cort Conley & Brad Dimock
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
"A Canyon Voyage" a really well written narrative of the 2nd Powell expedition down the Green and Colorado rivers. The voyage took them 2 years, the wintered over near Lee's, awesome story and history of the rivers.

"Undaunted Courage" is a long but well written story of the Lewis and Clark expedition, the quantities of wildlife and natives they encountered were amazing. I can't imagine being stalked by a grizzly bear on the open plains, scary.

I recommend both but haven't finished Canyon Voyage yet.

Also I second the recommendation for "Sunk Without a Sound" which is a great true story and still a mystery as to what happened to the couple who disappeared.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #6

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Cool, thanks guys that should keep me busy for the next couple years.
Old 10-21-2010   #7

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I enjoyed Never Turn Back. It's the biography of Walt Blackadar, one of the original Idaho badasses.
Old 10-21-2010   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
An Innocent on the Middle Fork, by Eliot DuBois, is the amazing story of a solo trip down the Middle Fork in 1942, in a collapsible kayak on extreme high water.

A River to Run, by Glen Wooldridge, is a collection of Rogue River stories.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Some more of my favorites:

Woman of the River, by Richard Westwood, is the story of Georgie Clark.

The Doing of the Thing, by Welch, Conley & Dimock, is the story of Buzz Holmstrom.

Snake River of Hells Canyon, by Carrey, Conle & Barton is a mile-by-mile history of the canyon. There is a companion book The River of No Return.

John Day River Drift and Historical Guide, by Arthur Campbell, is almost impossible to find, but worth the hunt if you plan to float the John Day.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #10

Canyon Voyage and Down the Great Unknown for sure....I'll add River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado by Colin Fletcher. His account of of his solo run from source to sea.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote