Risks Sato del Nilahue - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2016   #1

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Risks Sato del Nilahue

A learning experience at Salto Del Nilahue, Warning this isn't the easiest to read write up, and the video is rather disturbing. That being said I think it's important to show, and remind everyone of the risks we take and how rad our friends are at helping in those horrible situations.

Where Is Baer ?: The Risk, Nilahue

BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016   #2

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I believe you've earned the biggest dumbass award.
There are plenty of safe park n hucks in Chile. Why fire up that one?
It killed one of the best paddlers on the planet. Why would it treat anybody else different?
You're lucky to be alive.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Jeez, Chris! I'm glad things worked out the way they did. That was really scary! Beautiful shots, though and a great write-up.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatdog View Post
I believe you've earned the biggest dumbass award.
There are plenty of safe park n hucks in Chile. Why fire up that one?
It killed one of the best paddlers on the planet. Why would it treat anybody else different?
You're lucky to be alive.
It's his call, you have never run a drop that someone has gotten hurt on or died in?

Glad he is OK
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Glad your ok man! That looks like one sketchy spot.
I have almost all way's had bad things happen to me whenever i went against my gut.
Be care full out there for sure, it can be a fine line between living our life to the fullest, and ending it early.
Think it's better to share stuff like this for other peoples safety, even if it means you get ripped on. Thanks for posting it!
Old 02-02-2016   #6
Mile 157

Guess, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I'd say that qualifies as a close call! Glad everyone made it okay. I'm sure everyone feels lucky things didn't turn out differently for the paddler and safety boater involved, especially given the rapid's notorious reputation and obvious difficulties in setting adequate safety. Definitely a scary spot to end up for paddler or rescuer!
Fruita Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
onefatdog...you're pretty quick with your uninspired judgment. I'd consider your opinion if you were out there doing it. Are you on the river nearly as much as Chris Baer? I think you're probably getting fat on the couch this winter watching world class kayaking and world class skills on whereisbaer.com
Go back to the couch brah, there's no room in this community for you.
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What Tj said+1...wheretheriverflows who is being judgemental now..who the f are you to say who does or doesn't belong in our "community".... If you had bothered to read his personal beta you'd know he HAS run waterfalls in Chile,thePalguin is his favorite river for Christ's sake..also says he is 44 with kids ,so it is pretty normal to step it down a notch,if he has..don't worry you'll never get old

What Baer does is awesome..be safe bro..have never run anything anywhere near that gnarly but have been pinned in an undercut and narrowly escaped...did you experience an eerie sensation of calm and time slowed down when you were trapped( like that 26 seconds seemed like about 5 minutes) or was it just an adrenaline scramble?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #9

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretheriverflows View Post
onefatdog...you're pretty quick with your uninspired judgment. I'd consider your opinion if you were out there doing it. Are you on the river nearly as much as Chris Baer? I think you're probably getting fat on the couch this winter watching world class kayaking and world class skills on whereisbaer.com
Go back to the couch brah, there's no room in this community for you.
Nah, There's room in this community for everyone. Besides there aren't 5 people on this board getting out as much as Chris is. I think the level of exposure we all take is up to each of us and we can all expand our awareness of risk on the rio from a vid like this. Me, I think that's a stupid drop to run and he didn't show the skills to be running it. He didn't manage his angle well and he couldn't hand roll. Luck played way too big a part in his survival for my liking. But that's my call, for me. I don't mean this as an attack on Chris or suggest he do anything different. That's his call.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've had Naked Raygun playing in my head while paddling too!

Glad you came out OK!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote