Rio Grande is in...! - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2014   #1
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Rio Grande is in...!

Well this may be bad news for the rest of the summer, but the Rio is in right now. RC in Pilar is ice free and pretty damn tropical. The water is not even that cold. i dont even want to think how low it will be this summer, much less the fire season starting...now.
602 cfs LTB/Pilar
380 cfs UTB

American Whitewater - NM State Rivers

come and git sum while it lasts.... Febuly is in full swing.

looking at a LTB mish on thursday....

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Do you have any idea if the LTB is clear, or do there tend to be ice bridges in there this time of year?
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #3
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
Do you have any idea if the LTB is clear, or do there tend to be ice bridges in there this time of year?
I havent been in the gorge yet, and its def a concern but there was zero ice on the banks or river down in pilar as of sunday. We are going for it... Normally wouldnt even consider it in february... But its been dry since december with the exception of one storm cycle. Its literally like may at the rio...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
We have until the end of March, once April hits 100% of the runoff will be diverted to evaporate in empty sage fields or sprayed into the air over alfalfa in the San Luis Valley, leaving the box at a boney 200CFS until November when they cut off the irrigation diversion again.

It doesn't look like this year's snowpack will be adequate to overcome the diversion capacity, unless there are a lot of late season storms that hammer the Upper Rio Drainage Basin.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
well, ouch. that's what im sayin'.... better git sum.... and do a sacrifice to Ullr. ski bonfire at the river.....!!!

Old 02-19-2014   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Is anyone planning on heading down. I would like to head that way tomorrow Thursday feb 20. I know some locals are paddling tomorrow. If anyone from Durango want to go, pm me. I can drive.
CruiseQ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseQ. View Post
Is anyone planning on heading down. I would like to head that way tomorrow Thursday feb 20. I know some locals are paddling tomorrow. If anyone from Durango want to go, pm me. I can drive.
Cruise, We are planning on running the Lower Taos Box. not as exciting, but youre welcome to hit that up with us as an alternate to the Upper.

Also PM Matt aka "Nugget"....he is wanting to hit the UTB....
SYOTR...

almost 700 on the LTB today !! :woot:!!!!
Old 02-19-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I am new to New Mexico as of this fall, but if this is all we get I better take your advise and 'git sum'. Anything in the works for LTB this weekend?

Thanks.
aatchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #9
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by aatchley View Post
I am new to New Mexico as of this fall, but if this is all we get I better take your advise and 'git sum'. Anything in the works for LTB this weekend? Thanks.
Definitely...! Should be paddlers coming out this weekend, and i am looking to go tomorrow and saturday maybe
I will pm you my # , and hopefully we can meet up...!
Also go to the putin in pilar most weekend mornings and you will meet paddlers for sure...
Welcome to nm..!
Cheers ,abe
Old 02-20-2014   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Abron, guess that answers my question about Memorial Day weekend. Glad it's at least flowing this year. Enjoy.
Paddle_like_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote