Rio Chama day run - issue at put in - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2011   #1

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Rio Chama day run - issue at put in

I was just up on the Chama and the put in for the day run is closed. It looks like they are building an outhouse and doing some other improvements, but it is way lame that it is closed on a warm May weekend. We were able to carry our small cats in from the road, but you would be pretty screwed with a full size raft/trailer.

Hopefully this is just a quick temporary thing, given that it looks like the Chama may be the only nearby place with water unless some magic happens on the Rio Grande.

Other than that it was a great weekend - beautiful weather for my first day on the water for the season.

SYOTR,

George

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011   #2

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
thanks for the heads up george

and since you got chama boater's attention...it should be noted that ammo cans w/ wag bags are no longer acceptable groover systems for the chama.

Pat told me only "reusable, washable portable toilet systems" are allowed this year. she said retards put their used wag bags in the pit-toilets at the CG and Take out, so not allowed anymore.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #3

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 2005
Usually they will give the combination to the lock to local raft companies with the agreement that they'll not park there and lock the gate behind them.
Shizure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011   #4

Los Alamos, New Mexico
I was disappointed to hear about the new toilet rules. It sucks that those of us who use wag bags responsibly are being penalized because some idiots did not follow basic rules. Wag bags are perfect for short trips with a small group.

It is lame to give out the combination to the gate to outfitters and then leave the general public totally out of the loop about the gate being locked.

There was no sign until you get to the gate and then no explanation. Just a sign that reads "Closed for resource protection."
Old 07-21-2011   #5

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1975
Folks, there are plenty of other places to launch besides the usual put-in below the put in. One easy place is at the Skull Rapid Bridge
Riorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #6

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riorider View Post
Folks, there are plenty of other places to launch besides the usual put-in below the put in. One easy place is at the Skull Rapid Bridge
True. I have launched there a number of times. But this basically cuts the trip in half so it is not my ideal solution.

Riorider-

Have you been up there lately? My summer has conspired to keep me off the river since May (wow, that sucks), but I would like to know if things have improved since then.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011   #7

Santa Fe, New Mexico
There's no doubt that it shortens the run. But of course most of the rapids are at the bottom half, and a lot of flat water on top.

This has been a bad summer for me too. The low water was bad enough, but now all the forests are closed. You probably know all about that - were you evacuated?

It's probably been May since I was on the Chama as well. But here's an idea: try some of the runs below Cochiti and above ABQ. No WW, but lots of birds and no other boaters. There's a run from Cochiti to San Felipe, and another one from San Felipe to Bernalillo, and another one from Bernalillo to Central Ave. And of course White Rock canyon is in your back yard.
Old 07-31-2011   #8

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Santa Fe NF has reopened and the Chama is running at 630. Fairly typical late summer flow.