Right to Float Rally on the Taylor - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2010   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Right to Float Rally on the Taylor

Just heard about a right to float rally that some folks are planning for July 17th. Their plan is to lap the Middle Taylor all day and show everyone that Colorado's rivers are still free.

Lets see if we can make this big.

I know that I will go.

wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010   #2

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I'm there
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
your cute little flyers have already been handed off to the local sherriffs, forest service reps, harmels, and the wilder. so expect a warm welcome. and when they start ticketing people left and right im going to be there beer in hand to laugh at all you dumbshits.

the folks on the wilder are bad, but you guys are worse. if you guys just let it be and dont make an issue then the landowners wont either. make an issue and you can expect them to raise the bar right behind you. if you think they are cracking down now, do your little "protest float", because after wards there will be a crackdown bigger than anything weve seen before.

this is just the perfect fuel the folks on the wilder need to further attempt to shut down access............................................ ................

But hey, its not your backyard, so who cares if it gets fucked, right? If its not out backyard then we dont care!!!
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
From what I know there's no involvement by either AW of CW in this. If these groups are not involved, this is a really BAD idea to do without the organizations that have been working on Colorado access for years and have been successful in the past. Holding this rally could seriously undermine the effort these groups have put into the fight to date, or will put into it later. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and that if it were made public would be counterproductive for the cause. Please don't do this without involvement of AW and CW.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ well said Andy, VERY well said. the smart young lad who was representing AW at the Gunnison WW Fest and I talked about this issue for a little while, and he thinks its a terrible idea. Mass floats have happened in response to a number of conflicts, and in most cases, the mass float ends up causing more problems and making the landowners more angry. There is room to manuever here with these landowners, even if it isn't readily apparent to people out of the valley. but there is, believe me. there are lots of folks on the inside that are furiously trying to work out back door deals for both parties to be happy. but time is what we need now.

The thing that makes me laugh out loud about all of this is timing: theres no one around to protest to on the property right now except construction workers and cowhands! and they could care less if we're there or not. if you really want to make an issue of it, wait three years until there is actually houses built and rich people fishing, and then come down and make a point of it. at this point, all thats gonna see you is the construction boss or the ranch boss, and they will dutifully report to their higher ups, and will pass down a decree that further closes off access. a mass float is a lose lose all the way around right now!!
Old 07-07-2010   #6

Are you guys trying to upset the truce?

The last update I received from CW:

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

CONTACT
Will Coyne, 720-308-7931, [email protected]

River Outfitters Claim Victory in Rafting Dispute, Withdraw Ballot Initiatives

Colorado boaters celebrated a long awaited victory today when Texas real estate developer Lewis Shaw officially backed off his quest to block boating next to his property on the Taylor River, near Gunnison. With the high profile dispute over floating rights complete, the Colorado River Outfitters Association (CROA) agreed to withdraw their four proposed “right-to-float” ballot measures and pledged to continue to discuss statewide solutions with stakeholders this summer.

“Today is a great day for boaters,” said CROA President Bob Hamel. “Now boaters on the Taylor can continue to float that beautiful river that they have been floating for decades.”

Two local rafting companies and Shaw’s attorneys came to a negotiated agreement this week over the terms of floating near Shaw’s property on the Taylor that will ensure floating continues without threat of lawsuit for years to come.

The dispute on the Taylor River began in December of 2009, when Shaw’s attorney sent a letter to two long-standing Taylor River rafting companies threatening legal action against rafters that floated past his property. The dispute gave rise to HB10 - 1188, a bill to clarify the rights of boaters to float Colorado’s rivers, and four subsequent proposed ballot measures promoted by rafters and anglers.

“With the Taylor River open for rafting, outfitters feel comfortable withdrawing our ballot measures this year so we can get back home to focus on our businesses”, explained Hamel.

After withdrawing their proposed ballot measures, the commercial rafting industry committed to participating in ongoing discussions around floating rights with Gov. Ritter and other stakeholders throughout the summer and fall.

“Commercial rafters are committed to being good neighbors to adjacent landowners and conscious stewards of Colorado’s rivers“, said Hamel. “We look forward to continuing conversations with landowners and other river enthusiasts about how best to ensure that Colorado’s rivers can be enjoyed by all.”
####
Now what's to gain by going in there and rubbing this in their faces?
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I agree with Andy. Bad idea.

We floated through a few weeks ago from the upper to meet some beginners we were teaching on the lower because it was easier to float through than run a shuttle.

We saw several folks along the way both at Harmel's and the Wilder and we did the right thing and gave them plenty of room, stayed close together, and took very few paddle strokes going by. We exchanged simple waves and smiles with folks along the way.

Learn how to coexist.
Old 07-07-2010   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I'll float with you! Waiting three years sounds like a bad idea. I'll be there laughing when Yeti gets busted for drinking in public.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Yep, this is a bad idea, in my view.
One of the major concerns that landowners and legislators expressed in opposition to HB 1188, was that there are hoards of paddlers waiting in the wings to float on Colorado rivers, and that by granting a "right to float" there would be large groups floating thru private property regularly. This is simply not the case, as AW and CW communicated in Senate testimony, landowner meetings, etc. This demonstration will do only harm!

A demonstration float could:
1) prove the landowners concerns have standing
2) threaten a delicate truce on the Taylor, and
3) further complicate paddler-landowner relations on other rivers in the state ( Blue, Elk, Willow Creek, Uncompahgre, Arkansas, etc...) where access issues are burning.

I think a demonstration float would also undermine the efforts of paddling advocates like AW and CW to represent the general publics interests in ongoing access negotiations. If we, as paddlers, can't get on the same page, how will our efforts have any traction in the future?
A demonstration float at this time will only make things worse on so many levels. And for what - what's the point?
Call it off!
Old 07-07-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanfey View Post
Yep, this is a bad idea, in my view.
One of the major concerns that landowners and legislators expressed in opposition to HB 1188, was that there are hoards of paddlers waiting in the wings to float on Colorado rivers, and that by granting a "right to float" there would be large groups floating thru private property regularly. This is simply not the case, as AW and CW communicated in Senate testimony, landowner meetings, etc. This demonstration will do only harm!

A demonstration float could:
1) prove the landowners concerns have standing
2) threaten a delicate truce on the Taylor, and
3) further complicate paddler-landowner relations on other rivers in the state ( Blue, Elk, Willow Creek, Uncompahgre, Arkansas, etc...) where access issues are burning.

I think a demonstration float would also undermine the efforts of paddling advocates like AW and CW to represent the general publics interests in ongoing access negotiations. If we, as paddlers, can't get on the same page, how will our efforts have any traction in the future?
A demonstration float at this time will only make things worse on so many levels. And for what - what's the point?
Call it off!

Everyone who is thinking about going needs to listen to Nathan. AW does not want this to happen. It is going to hurt our cause.

CALL IT OFF!
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote