right to float in Colorado - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2010   #1

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 96
right to float in Colorado

So it feels like the right to float issue has been resolved, with Shaw giving the raft companies in Gunnison permission to float. Lets not forget that "his river" is not the only place in the state that we have these issues. Like outbackjack has said the bill may be dead but the issue is not. The Harmels boys are now the problem in the Gunnison area. Shaw gives permission then the harmels boys deny permission. Something doesn't seem right! WE NEED TO KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THE MIDDLE TAYLOR! If you are a private boater and are in or live in the area keep floating through the middle. These landowners are afraid of us not the commercail boys.

riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010   #2
Have paddled a Quest

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Check out the Gunnison County Sheriff's article and subsequent comments posted here:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post186663

Be safe, be polite, have fun!
Old 06-03-2010   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
what is this about Harmel's shutting down permission now? I hadnt heard of this....
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010   #4

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 96
harmels has not yet done this, but are threating to. Marco i read the letter also, but if harmels sues it also could be precedent setting right? privates are what the landowners are afraid of we need to keep floating on our rivers to let them know we are not going away!
riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I spoke with the sheriff today, he will ticket portaging, although he feels that the issue should be settled in court. I have floated the middle a few times this spring, I heard that shaw cleaned out the trees on the right side of the bridge, will verify tomorrow. I think we should all thank mr. shaw, for clearing out the bridgeand building excellent fish habitat! The best way I know of to show our appreciation is to float and fish down the river!! It is very easy to catch eddies and fish without touching a rock or anchoring, I even sat in an eddie the other day for 20 miniutes without touching anything! Anyone interested in floating with me, let me know on this forum. A larger oar rig will have trouble getting under the bridge, however , there are many smaller rigs or even paddle rafts, which fit under the bridge quite nicely. As High water ebbs, come on down to the Taylor!!!
outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #6

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It was good to see Jack, Riot, and some other folks floating the middle these last couple weeks. I plan to start floating it again soon.

Lets make sure that Shaw and the Robberts brothers (the Harmel's boys) do not forget that we all own the river. The private boaters have the power to show everyone that we are not scared of them or their high priced lawyers and lobbyist.
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #7

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Looks like the Taylor is all clear again for boating, glad that Lewis came to his senses. I heard the Harmels boys would not do anything about the "Onesys and twosys" coming through. Glad to know one of my favorite after work runs still is!
lakesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #8

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
While I am glad that the middle is "open," lets not forget that this fight is not over. The tentative "permission" so graciously granted by a few jerks who tried to take away our rivers just months ago does not constitute a solution. The legislature failed us as boaters and as shared owners of Colorado's waterways.

Because of the politicians lack of positive action on 1188, we the boating community need to continue the fight by all means necessary. This should include floating the middle or any other stretch of river that flows through private property. We also need to continue to fight the political battle and work to clarify the law and protect the rights which we have enjoyed for generations.
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesgirl View Post
Looks like the Taylor is all clear again for boating, glad that Lewis came to his senses. I heard the Harmels boys would not do anything about the "Onesys and twosys" coming through. Glad to know one of my favorite after work runs still is!
if the middle is one of your favorite runs then you need to check out the stretch just upstream called the "upper". lots of fun and no bullshit.
Old 06-04-2010   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
if the middle is one of your favorite runs then you need to check out the stretch just upstream called the "upper". lots of fun and no bullshit.

As far as Im concerned, the upper Taylor includes the middle. Adds as nice, pieceful ending to a great run, from now on, the upper ends at 5 mile!!!
outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote