Rigging a Floatilla - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2013   #1

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Rigging a Floatilla

We are getting ready for a trip down Cataract canyon. We'll have three round boats and one cat. We plan to bring a motor in case the winds pick up down on the lake.

Any suggestions for rigging the floatilla? My first guess was that we would strap the boats together with two in the front and two in the back. Making a rigid party barge, then have the motor push from the back.

The other suggestion was to strap two together and mount the motor on the first two, then attach the other two behind with rope. So two boats would lead pushed by the motor and two boat would follow pulled by the motor.

Thanks much- KR

king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
I would start by putting the boat with the motor in the back. I would tie one boat tight to the front of it.....end to end..... then strap the other two boats to the sides of those two boats to create a diamond shape. The tighter you make the boats....the better it will steer. Which one will be sporting the motor? You'll have the best luck if it is the cat.....but no matter which one has the motor.... I would put the cat in the middle and put the two round boats on the outsides.

Have fun and happy motoring.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #3
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
What he said, but make sure the front boat is the lightest one, the back boat ideally the heaviest, and the two side boats as weight equal as you can get them.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013   #4

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I would start by putting the boat with the motor in the back. I would tie one boat tight to the front of it.....end to end..... then strap the other two boats to the sides of those two boats to create a diamond shape. The tighter you make the boats....the better it will steer. Which one will be sporting the motor? You'll have the best luck if it is the cat.....but no matter which one has the motor.... I would put the cat in the middle and put the two round boats on the outsides.
Great advice for boat placement.

To add to it,
Wind or not, you'll want a motor for the lake end of Cat. A couple things you'll need; a fire extinguisher and registration for the motor. More than likely you will go through more gas than you think. Also, watch out for the sand bars, having a way to check the depth is important so you don't run the motor into the sand/rock.

Enjoy!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #5

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
strap boats frame-to-frame, never to d-rings
Old 04-05-2013   #6

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
How big is the motor?
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
We're launching a commercial trip on Sunday, the first of our season. The rig configuration sounds good. We have the motor on one boat in the rear and have two boats side by side in the front and one or two in front of those.
There is current to the take out and beyond plus we heard a few rapids around the Dirty Devil! The North Wash is the only usable take out.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Low water

We always run a motor on a cat and put a raft on each side, maybe tow another light boat in the back.

2200 on Colorado will keep you busy searching for the moto channel in some areas motoring down to confluence with the Green.
Good news is the bottom is mostly sandy, but watchout for the gravel bar caused by the outflow at Indian garden.
The bar is in a direct line between the camp/beach and the obvious route across to the deep water channel.

If the wind gets bad with whitecaps on lake or river you'll want to pull over or tow in a single file, but careful how you you link the boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6050159.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	913.5 KB
ID:	5894  
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
just motored from Jensen through cat last fall at 1200cfs. u will want to be more narrow to stay in the deep channel. I would suggest the diamond, motor boat in back two side by side and another in front. u will also want someone , probably whoever is the best at reading shallow water sitting in the front boat, and have that person communicate with the driver via handsignals as the rig will be too long for the driver to read the water well. remember when u do get stuck take a second to evaluate the situation, wade around find the channel sometimes a lot less effort to drag rig upstream or sideways to get to the channel easily. have fun!
rehamxela is offline   Reply With Quote