Retiring a helmet? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Retiring a helmet?

Reading about Preston's bell ringer has me thinking about a new helmet.

Someone wrote that a helmet should be retired after 5 years or one big hit. Now I've heard this about bike helmets, but I thought kayak helmets were designed to absorb multiple impacts. Seems like unless there is that medium density foam like on a bike helmet, that the shell should last damn near forever and unless the padding is packed out, it should be good for quite a while as well.

When does your helmet really need to be replaced?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010   #2

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I've been taught that with all halmets bike, skiing, motorcycle, racing, hockey. I feel its good advice you only have one brain why not protect it.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
My rule of thumb is if I start asking if it's time to replace it... then it's time to replace it.

I know that sounds extremely unhelpful, but I look at it this way. Paddling, skating, skiing, riding, biking, jumping, etc is all a hell of a lot more fun when you aren't asking yourself "I wonder if my helmet will hold up when I hit that..." I prefer to keep my attention on the activity and not how old my helmet is. Just my 2 pennies.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010   #4

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 01
most helmets are multi-impact rated. but if you take a big blow get a new one. you could have damaged something that isn't visable to your eye but severly weekens the helmets integratiy
DCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't mean to digress too much, but I think this raises a pretty good question of buying a used helmet, huh? Particularly, if you don't know the seller or are getting it at a swap and can't ask the owner what kind of hits they took ( i guess you could always try to get in touch at a swap).
Old 04-21-2010   #6

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There are single and multi hit helmets. Single hits are like road bike helmets. they are light and not much of a hard shell. Multi hit helmts have a much thicker outside shell that takes most of the impact and there for does not break the foam down. But if you get a really good ringer in any kind of helmet it is time to get a new one and not risk it. It is only a few hundred at tops to replace it or the chance of never being able to boat again. jm2c
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
There's been a lot of threads about helmets. It's one of those discussions I keep chiming in on. I've broken a few helmets ski racing. When those break you know it. They're pretty much destroyed. Send em back and the company always sends me a new one. Pretty cool.
Hockey players get hit pretty hard on the glass and boards every game. I would assume that these are easily as big a hit as most of us take on occasion playboating. Those players are using that helmet all season I bet.
I still have the same lidds helmet I got 10 years ago for playboating. It's scratched but never has taken more than a glancing blow. If I took a direct hard hit, I would replace it. It's made of kevlar and glass, so it's designed to take lots of low impact hits just like a firbreglass boat. One big hit on a squirt boat though and it's done. repair the boat - replace the helmet. My creeking helmet is a full face FNA. If that takes a huge hit then yeah, damn right I am gonna replace it! It's like a climbing rope. Take a few falls and time to replace. it's your life! my 2 cents.
SYOTR

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #8

Louisville, Colorado
I am with nmalozzi, if I am wondering if I should replace a helmet, then I should. My ski helmet is due, and I will be shopping for one off season.
Also, I organize a gear swap at my local elementary school, and refuse to accept any helmets. It is kind of hard line stance since any helmet is probably better than no helmet, but I stand by it.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I'm in the same spot as you, Dave. I have a older Shred Ready with a facemask that has been my standby for 6-7 years (maybe more), and I think it's time to retire it. Especially since I'm envisioning my helmet is probably a similar age / model (minicell) as Preston's - that story gave me the chills.

But I'm also due for a new paddle, and last week I decided to put off the helmet til next year. Now I'm waffling - maybe I should suck it up and get a Sweet fullface and deal with the paddles I have. Ah, decisions.

I do have a pro from for Bern helmets- anyone have any links to testing done for kayaking? Couldn't find any. I know I need to switch from a minicell liner to impact foam, and if I can get a deal on a high end Bern with EPS foam & an ASTM/ rating that meet the standards for biking and skiing ($80 msrp) and put the facemask on it (I'd guess the equivalent of a Cascade Full face), I'm still better off than what I have now and I can spend my $400 on a new Werner Sho-Gun. I know I'm risking getting called out for being cheap with my dome, but hell- we've come a looong way from the Pro-Tec's I started out with....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Flaco View Post
I'm in the same spot as you, Dave. I have a older Shred Ready with a facemask that has been my standby for 6-7 years (maybe more), and I think it's time to retire it. Especially since I'm envisioning my helmet is probably a similar age / model (minicell) as Preston's - that story gave me the chills.

But I'm also due for a new paddle, and last week I decided to put off the helmet til next year. Now I'm waffling - maybe I should suck it up and get a Sweet fullface and deal with the paddles I have. Ah, decisions.

I do have a pro from for Bern helmets- anyone have any links to testing done for kayaking? Couldn't find any. I know I need to switch from a minicell liner to impact foam, and if I can get a deal on a high end Bern with EPS foam & an ASTM/ rating that meet the standards for biking and skiing ($80 msrp) and put the facemask on it (I'd guess the equivalent of a Cascade Full face), I'm still better off than what I have now and I can spend my $400 on a new Werner Sho-Gun. I know I'm risking getting called out for being cheap with my dome, but hell- we've come a looong way from the Pro-Tec's I started out with....
I forget which version my bern was, but I slammed my dome while kayaking in my old Bern a ton. I always thought it did a great job. The only reason I got rid of it was I SLIGHTLY modified the padding in the back to accommodate my short lived dread locks. Once I cut them off the helmet no longer fit properly, and I decided to upgrade to something with more brim.