Resurrection of CSU whitewater kayaking club - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-12-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Resurrection of CSU whitewater kayaking club

I am trying to get an idea of how many kayakers would be interested at hopefully establishing a permanent Kayaking club after many failed attempts. I am just trying to get a survey of how many people who attend CSU and kayak or want to learn to kayak. If there is significant interest I would like to plan a meeting this fall to hear peoples ideas and start to make a progression toward a university sanctioned club. So if you are a ram and kayak let me know if you are interested.

Jmannhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010   #2

Good luck getting it university sanctioned, the university won't even let us use their pool anymore. The past two years we have been unofficial again and have been doing pool sessions at the Rain Tree Athletic Club (formerly the Pulse). There has been a lot of time and energy into trying to get the university on board for a kayak club and it always comes back the same. As far as interest, there is some, I'm not a student anymore and csu was always big on students only, but I know Leif and Natalie would both be interested and will not reply to this thread or even see it for that matter.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I paddle and I'm at CSU if we get a few more I'd be down
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010   #4

I probably came off a little too negative with my post, just letting you know you're fighting an uphill battle.

There is a list serve set up for the current club. That would be a good place to start, I don't remember what it is but I will post it tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #5
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hell yeah! We've been waiting for someone to come along and take the reigns.

Natalie is really the one to ask, but right now I think that the status of the club is that we officially exist, but we owe something like $90 to the school, and until we pay that up, we're sort of frozen. That combined with the baloney rules that the occupational safety department has made for the pools has prompted me to pretty much ignore CSU and try to run the club independently. (Although I have Natalie do most of the work, actually.) As Nathan mentioned, we've been running a listserve and doing pool sessions out of our own pockets off campus. Neither Natalie or I are official officers of the club, we just sort of started doing stuff so that we could paddle in the winter.

If you'd like to be subscribed to the listserve (this goes for anyone out there) send me a PM. I can sign you up or give you directions to sign up yourself. We could send out an email to the listserve and get that handful of people involved as well. This is going to be awesome. Some new energy will be great for the club.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Good luck getting it university sanctioned, the university won't even let us use their pool anymore. The past two years we have been unofficial again and have been doing pool sessions at the Rain Tree Athletic Club (formerly the Pulse). There has been a lot of time and energy into trying to get the university on board for a kayak club and it always comes back the same. As far as interest, there is some, I'm not a student anymore and csu was always big on students only, but I know Leif and Natalie would both be interested and will not reply to this thread or even see it for that matter.
I second this. We had a very active group of paddlers (05-09), and barely got any support from the university. They view kayakers as a liability, and even went to the extreme of limiting how many people could be in the pool at once (was it 6 boaters/people?).

For being Fort Collins, this is by far the most ridiculous group of people that I have tried to work with. Quite disappointing.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
I am a grad student at CSU and actually just got my first kayak last week. I have been out on the Poudre a few times and have had an absolute blast. I want to start kayaking as much as possible and if the club starts back up I would definitely be interested and would like to get involved.
bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've mostly done a lot of canoeing, but I'm looking to get into kayaking and would be interested in a club
ardevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #9
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am still a student at CSU after 9 years, really just apply for continuing registration always.... and have kayaked all 9 of those years in and around FTC. I would be down to help out as well, but maybe we just take it off campus and do what RMA does and rent out the mulberry pool once a week.... That pool is plenty big and there is a diving board.
Old 07-29-2010   #10
H.

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The Mountain Kayak Polo club rents the EPIC pool from Oct-May on Thursday nights for kayak polo. Lately we've only been renting 2/3 of the pool, which leaves 1/3 of the EPIC pool available for rolling from ~8ish - ~10ish on Thursday nights. We'd be happy to rent the rest of the pool so that there's room for people to roll, the only catch is that the unused section of the pool goes for $50/hr, so there would have to be enough people rolling to cover that additional cost.

Anyway, contact me for details if there's interest. The polo club is also very interested in new members, if there's interest from CSU folks. Polo is a great way to improve skills and stay in shape in the off season.

Heather Bean
[email protected]
bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csu kayaking club, kayaking