Results of LOG 2010!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2010   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Results of LOG 2010!!!

Damn that was a smok'n good weekend up there in Lyons this year. Water levels were at ALL TIME HIGHs. SSV could not have been better for as far as offering a race to the best paddlers in the world a race that had all of them chewing on their fingernails at the race start area... FULL ON for sure.
Something that every play boater anywhere near the front range should know is that the play feature in Meadow Park is absolutely ROCKING. I had never even known this came in the way it did. According to Stephen Wright "you can throw any trick in the book on this wave/hole feature". This feature was commented on as being a mini Salida by many. Certainly a hell of a lot closer to Denver too! Deep, sticky and a nice foam pile to keep you in. Sounds nasty.. and it was!

Results:
Creek Race:
2010 Adam Barron Mem Creek Race was held from just below Bed Springs all the way to the typical start area for the Narrows. It was .8 mile course on the road that was probably just shy a mile on the water.
1st Place and $1000.00 first prize, plus $500.00 from Oskar Blues!!!: Tao Berman, by a WHOPPING 16 seconds from 2nd place with a time of 0.05:18. Unreal performance by Tao!!!
2nd Place and $350.00: Bradley Lander took second by 3 seconds above 3rd.
3rd Place and $200.00: Was a tie between Brian Kirk and Clay Wright by 2 seconds above 5th.
5th Place was David Fusilli

I want to throw out a big high 5 to the four or five non pro's from wherever they came from (mostly front range) that showed up to compete with the 27 other pro paddlers. Of those 27, 5 walked off prior to the race due to concerns of water levels. We had over 600CFS in there and I am not sure I have even heard of it being paddled at those levels by anyone, let alone raced at those levels!!! But that didn't stop Tom Janey [email protected] who took 6th place from literally 14 of some of the best you can think of... Tom you get my highest congrats for firing that shit up big time!!!!
As a matter of fact, I am going to take this second to mention that there was A LOT of shit talking, that best I can tell, only Scott Young, Tom Janey, and Justin Merritt came and stood up too. Scott Shipley is to be noted, but I what I am referring too is the pure local non-pro/olympian that stood up to the best pro's from all over US/Can/NZ. To you boys, the Town of Lyons and Oskars appreciates your home town pride and the fact that you where there to represent.
Evan Stafford? What happened, I thought you only paddled SSV over 300!!!
Cutch? This is a front range favorite of yours?
SeanLee?

Well, one thing is for sure. Every person at the race said that it was by far the best creek race in the country. Full on, no BS type of race that no matter low flows in the narrows or scorching flows just above, the Adam Barron Memorial Creek Race puts the fear into the best of them and 2011 is going to be the year that this race gets the notoriety that it deserves... I know that my friend Adam Barron would be stoked!

Mens Freestyle:
$500.00 1st Place: Nick Troutman
$300.00 2nd Place: Stephen Wright
$150.00 3rd Place: Eric Jackson

Womans Freestyle:
$500.00 1st Place: Emily Jackson
$300.00 2nd Place: Elaine Campbell
$150.00 3rd Place: Haley Mills

Womans JR Freestyle:
1st Place: Lauren Burress (Lauren is on FIRE)
2nd Place: Tracy Darbeloff
3rd Place: Taylor Cote

Mens JR Freestyle:
1st Place: Dane Jackson
2nd Place: Quinton Barnett
3rd Place: Nico Tonozzi

Expert (Open Class):
1st Place: Rob Anna (RIGHT ON ROB!!!)
2nd Place: Duane Gibson
3rd Place: Connor Budell

C1 Finals:
1st Place: Jordon Poffenberger
2nd Place: Dane Jackson
3rd Place: Jeremy Lauks
4th Place: Jeff Campbell

OC1 Finals:
1st Place: Jordon Poffenberger
2nd Place: Jeremy Lauks
3rd Place: Dane Jackson

Thanks to Oskars Brewing and Smith Optics for recognizing that Lyons has the goods to challenge the best kayak of kayak events anywhere in the world. Especially Oskars for meeting the bet that Tao put up with nothing but pride for the home town crew we have that stood up to it and gave it all they had. These sponsors not only make awesome eyewear and beer, but also are great supporters of kayaking in general. Each of us should be supporting them with our hard earned dollars... that's how this thing works and I for one am going to keep putting my money in their direction. Thank you Chad and the boys at Smith. You guys threw a rocking good party on Saturday night. Great times!

Here's to the 2011 LOG!!!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Sounds like a good time all around... out of pure curiosity, what boat was Dane paddling for OC1? Should we be expecting to see a Jackson open boat in the future?
Old 06-14-2010   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Marty, Arn, Kevin, Booth, Solomon and the entire crew of organizers and volunteers who helped put on this event, THANK YOU guys and gals for all the time and effort in making this a top notch event!! To Smith Optics, Jackson Kayaks, Oscar Blues, the town of Lyons, and all the other sponsors who made this event possible... THANK YOU!!

Huge props to all who raced the SSV creek race. STOUT, to say the very least. Lets see some video....
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Nick, all competitors were paddling one OC, and that was Jeremy's "Black Fly". Very cool boat actually and it I understand it won at the Worlds in Thun last year? Not sure of that 100%, but heard someone mention it...

Yes, and that is someone I forgot big time... Solomon. Matt, your professionalism of all things kayak events makes the LOG that much better. Thanks a ton!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Great event! The creek race was awesome.

Big props to Tom for getting 6th while leaving some pros in his wake. Is sponsorship in his future? Word on the street is that bitchithane and harbor freight plastic welders are both chomping at the bit to get him on their team.

Oskar blues has some mighty fine beer too. Takeout ice chest has recently been stocked with mama's pilsner... good stuff!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Could someone post the rest JR mens Freestyle and the Slalom K1, and the Downriver results? Thanks!
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #7

I like it better when Tom swims/loses in races but if he's gonna beat 20+ pros that's pretty cool too.

Every local (including me) who didn't show up should be ashamed of themselves. I ran some practice laps with Tom on Thursday and that course was sick. I wish SSV ran that high every year.

Sick event. Props to Craw and co for putting it on.
Old 06-14-2010   #8
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Marty,
What about Boatercross/8Ball? The local boys smoked the Pros baby!
Arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
Marty,
What about Boatercross/8Ball? The local boys smoked the Pros baby!
Arn
That was awesome! I just sent Fred a PM about his photos of that event...he's got some hilarious 8Balling shots.
Old 06-14-2010   #10

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
That creek race was great!

It was a bummer the weather was not better for the organizers, exhibitors, contestants and festival, but no one was worried about not enough water.

As a canoer, I wish I could have seen the OC1 and C1 freestyle. I would love to see an American company design and make some new canoes versus Equif out of Canada.

Thanks to everyone involved!