Required gear: Dino/Yampa? - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Required gear: Dino/Yampa?

Greetings Buzzards:

We have an upcoming permit on the Yampa, we'll be fully self-supported in an IK and packraft. We've gone over the required gear list a few times, all good there except for the requirements for a "fine-mesh screen" and "kitchen tarp." We're already tight on space (spare PFD, helmet, etc.) We plan on using freeze dried food and some packaged food (eg Clif Bars for lunch). No real "kitchen," certainly no dish washing (we'll rehydrate and eat out of the bag), nothing to filter. Question: Is there much latitude on these regs? If we have to bring them, any idea how big? I could be a smart ass and bring a zip lock bag as a tarp, and a 3x3" screen door patch as a filtering mesh, but I doubt they'd appreciate such rule-bending.

Tried calling them, haven't been able to connect yet with a live person. Any ideas? Thanks,

-Tom

Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
try emailing them. they are quick to respond
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
Greetings Buzzards:

We have an upcoming permit on the Yampa, we'll be fully self-supported in an IK and packraft. We've gone over the required gear list a few times, all good there except for the requirements for a "fine-mesh screen" and "kitchen tarp." We're already tight on space (spare PFD, helmet, etc.) We plan on using freeze dried food and some packaged food (eg Clif Bars for lunch). No real "kitchen," certainly no dish washing (we'll rehydrate and eat out of the bag), nothing to filter. Question: Is there much latitude on these regs? If we have to bring them, any idea how big? I could be a smart ass and bring a zip lock bag as a tarp, and a 3x3" screen door patch as a filtering mesh, but I doubt they'd appreciate such rule-bending.

Tried calling them, haven't been able to connect yet with a live person. Any ideas? Thanks,

-Tom
A 12x12 piece of rolled up window screen will work as the "fine mesh screen". The kitchen tarp could be the lightest weight plastic tarp you can find. A tent footprint is also an option.

From there... not saying you should do this.... but you could show it to the ranger and then "forget" to move it from your truck to your kayak before you push off. 99% chance that the river rangers aren't gonna be checking for that stuff.

Generally...the only thing they really tend to check for is groover, fire pan and life jackets being up to snuff. I don't think I've had a ranger ask to see anything beyond that there, but there is always the chance you'll get that one stickler.

Keep trying with the River Office and talking with someone there... (970) 374-2468. I think they tend to man the phones there from 8am-Noon Monday-Friday. If you don't get them, try the Head Ranger. They are generally pretty helpful and can probably give you special permission to leave certain items off the list with certain types of trips.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Use a paint strainer for your mesh screen (home depot). Your average blue tarp will work for a kitchen tarp, plus you can sleep on it.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
A few years ago I had an argument with a volunteer ranger over a paint bucket screen. I told her the regulations donít specify what brand/make/model we need and that mine was more than capable and of straining fine coffee grounds as required. She finally let it pass.

All we use on any River is the 5 gallon paint bucket strainer. They catch more fine particles, are easy to use, are super cheap and easier to pack than a stainless mesh kitchen strainer.

I am a firm believer in following the rules of the permit and always bring the required gear and use it. Email the river office if you have questions -then bring a copy of the email incase there are differences in opinion for your check in.

Dino rangers are working to be more friendly... at least thatís what they told me last year.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't notice that "contact us" email link on the bottom of the DNM page. I just sent them a message to ask about the tarp/strainer issue, and also to confirm that a fire pan isn't needed if no fires are planned. I'll circle back with their response.

Yep, I fully agree with taking all required gear, but question the need to carry non-safety gear that absolutely will not be used. The regs seem to be written from a decades-old perspective (e.g. I haven't built a fire in the backcountry for...decades; don't know anyone who does) and for large boats (e.g. our "kitchen" will be a single stove to boil water to rehydrate meals eaten out of a pouch with a long spoon). I'll pass along the response, thanks again.

-Tom
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Wow, they are very responsive to emails, just heard back. For those doing the Yampa trip self-supported in small boats (we'll be in a 1 person IK and a packraft), i.e. tight on space, here are some required gear nuances:

-If there's no plan to light a fire, no need to bring a fire pan/blanket.

-A tarp is still required, even if it won't be used at all. The tarp need only be as big as the "prep and serving area." So the width of two butts sitting on a log...3'x 2'? I have some window shrink plastic (it's used in the ultralight community as a sleeping bag ground cloth, available at hardware stores), probably 1-2 oz. Done.

-A mesh strainer is still required, even if it won't be used (no dishes, not even packing dish soap). I confirmed in writing that a 3x3" piece of screen door mesh will suffice. I think they sell plastic v. aluminum mesh at Home Depot.

-Getting this confirmed in writing was a great tip, thanks. Not keen to get into an argument at put-in.

-Tom