repent - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2006   #1

repent

Re-pent, Webster defines this word as follows: verb, feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin:

Now I am not considered a 'religious' man by any means, however I do consider the river my church and this evening I was taught a lesson in being humble. . .which is a hard lesson for me, I admit.

Disclaimer: I would not be publicly humbeling myself if it were not for the fact that the attending party would do it for me. Thanks Leif

So there I was, in the back yard of Fort Collins, the Narrows of the Wild and Senic Cache La Poudre River (that's French if you didn't know). Anyways we put in the middle narrows, instead of Uppers, because I was experienceing one of my heavy 'flow' days in my cycle, (I finally undersand those commercials) I perfer wings for leakage protection. Sorry Ladies. . . My gina was hurting.

Sports Car went fine and the water was great, proceeding down the run I performed many of my signature, picture-perfect boof strokes. Those of you that know me know what I'm talking about. Long story short middle narrows went great in a creek boat at 2'7 on the rock and I was feeling pretty good. Thinking back on it I should have noticed then that my helmet was getting tighter and tighter. Head swell

Lower Narrows: 1st lap, great. . . Probably one of the top 10 best runs of all times at this flow. I dunno I have to ask some of the elders

2nd lap. . . Even better, I boofed the second hole so huge that with the compression of my boat on the water I knocked several fish out of the river onto the banks. I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I was there.

walking back up I returned the little fishes to the river, boof and release.

3rd lap. . . As I'm doing my warm up rituals at the put-in, I shit you not I looked over at Leif and smugly said "If you can stay close I'll show you the lines" Right then the river Gods sent a bolt of lightening down on the river. . . I didn't see it of course because I was already anticiapting the biggest boof of my career.

I came around the airplane move and looked back to see if Leif had seen me absolutly clean the line and right then I meandered into the next hole, subbed out and missed my brace comming out of the hole to the left. I tried a roll and missed and then sucked into the quasi-undercut and pinned upside down. . . Knowing I couldn't roll up and the inevatable swim was coming a quote popped into my mind

'IF YOU CAN STAY CLOSE I'LL SHOW YOU THE LINES'

OUCH on many levels, the swim was fine a little brused. Lost my paddle so if you find a red and black power house werener in the river, it's worth some beer. The ego. . . it was hurt. . .it hurts. And my first swim in that section of my back yard.

Lesson: The River Gods are ALWAYS LISTENING.

Release the demons

I feel catholic

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006   #2

Fucking religious strife. Perfect the boof stroke and become a mormon.

yours truly,

Brother Joseph
Old 06-20-2006   #3

thanks for sharing. high freaking larious.
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006   #4

Brother Joseph

Choose the right. . . or was it the left?

Anyway boof that shit!
Old 06-20-2006   #5

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
The fact that everything turned out okay, makes this freakin hilarious. I was chuckling all night long.

One thing you left out though;

1st run - I'm down one roll and buying ice cream if something doesn't change

2nd run - no rolls by either

3rd run - well we all know how that turned out and damn that beer tasted good.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #6
JJH

Sometimes you have to wonder Y those things happen and sometimes you just have to drink out of that bootie. Leif, you did make him drink out of your crocs or what.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #7

Bham, Washington
Well I sugested it but apparently he is above the bootie beer. It seems to me this could only anger the river gods even more but who knows.
Old 06-20-2006   #8

Something similiar happened to me a few weeks ago. My exact words, prior to my swim, were "You don't need to scout this; it is easy read and run..... or you can just follow my lines because I've run it a million times and never had a problem." HA! This must have REALLY offended the river gods, and whatever ego I had has been completely destroyed!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #9

Bham, Washington
bump...
Old 06-20-2006   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
great story. well told. many laughs.

Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote