Repair kit question - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2013   #1

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Repair kit question

In preparation for the upcoming fair weather rafting season, I was reorganizing my on-river repair kits as I now own rafts made of PVC, Hypalon and Urethane. The PVC now has its own container….but the urethane and hypalon are so similar that the only difference is the raft material and the adhesives. So I want to put the two kits together into one of the NRS barrels that the kits come in…but they won’t quite fit (at least one can of adhesive won’t fit).

90% of my rafting is fishing day trips- up to class III and a few class IVs. The rest are multiday camping trips lasting 2-4 days in about the same type of water…traveling 20 miles or so (with accesses in between).

My question is: For these kind of trips, do you guys take all of your material and adhesives just in case…or do you generally depend on tear aid and duct tape to get you to where you need to go, then do a proper repair once you are in the garage? (Leaving the rasp, material and adhesives at home)

I can see taking it all on the weeks long trips like GC and MFS…but I’m never THAT far from civilization and figured I could ultimately leave the “real” materials at home and do the repair in the proper enviro.

Any advice or experience that would help me with this decision?

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't leave anything behind for a mutliday trip, and I have plenty of room to carry a complete repair kit on day trips. My cat has three chambers in each tube and once,while rigging it from camp, I found the middle of a tube was on a sharp rock. I found out after fully loading, when I saw some bubbles. I really didn't want to derig and do a patch on the beach so I chose to launch with 2 chambers. It rode really well, but if anything would have happened, I knew I had everything I could need to complete the float. If I was down to one chamber and only had Duct tape or Tear-aid and a fully loaded raft, I could have been in trouble. Mine all fits inside a 5.56mm ammo can and is strapped in out of the way.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #3

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Although this may sound flip. Buy a bigger pelican case that will hold all your repair gear. This has been where I have found the best prices.

Don't forget, glue has a one year shelf life. I can attest to that after repairing a boat twice in a morning on the Grand. The first time with my old glue and the second time with the glue the outfitter provided with the rental boat...

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
In preparation for the upcoming fair weather rafting season, I was reorganizing my on-river repair kits as I now own rafts made of PVC, Hypalon and Urethane. The PVC now has its own container….but the urethane and hypalon are so similar that the only difference is the raft material and the adhesives. So I want to put the two kits together into one of the NRS barrels that the kits come in…but they won’t quite fit (at least one can of adhesive won’t fit).

90% of my rafting is fishing day trips- up to class III and a few class IVs. The rest are multiday camping trips lasting 2-4 days in about the same type of water…traveling 20 miles or so (with accesses in between).

My question is: For these kind of trips, do you guys take all of your material and adhesives just in case…or do you generally depend on tear aid and duct tape to get you to where you need to go, then do a proper repair once you are in the garage? (Leaving the rasp, material and adhesives at home)

I can see taking it all on the weeks long trips like GC and MFS…but I’m never THAT far from civilization and figured I could ultimately leave the “real” materials at home and do the repair in the proper enviro.

Any advice or experience that would help me with this decision?
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I have 2 boats, 1 hypalon 1 Aice PVC. they both have separate repair kits that ride on each one in 5.56 ammo cans
Old 02-19-2013   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Pick up some liquid lex from sotar. It works great as a temporary (and some say permanent) patch. I was on a day run last year when no one had a repair kit, but someone had some liquid lex. They saved the day.
Old 02-19-2013   #6

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Carrying Cases | Shipping Cases | Custom Foam Inserts There is the link I forgot to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBWW View Post
Although this may sound flip. Buy a bigger pelican case that will hold all your repair gear. This has been where I have found the best prices.

Don't forget, glue has a one year shelf life. I can attest to that after repairing a boat twice in a morning on the Grand. The first time with my old glue and the second time with the glue the outfitter provided with the rental boat...

-Dan
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #7

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBWW View Post

-Dan

See and another thought I had is that keeping the glue in the garage could be better for it than exposing it to temp extremes inside the drybox.(not that I tend to push it beyond a year, but certainly assuring that the shelf life isn't lessened).

So am I hearing that nobody really bothers with a somewhat temporary solution like tear aid on the river? Most of y'all opt for the full on patch?

I've only had one minor on the river repair necessary-fixed with tear-aid but it was just a tear in the floor of a bucket boat (no air), it held fine for the duration until I got it home and dry to patch it right.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #8

Seattle, Washington
I don't ever take less repair gear on a multiday trip than a day trip. What's the thinking on that? If anything, I take more repair kit on the multiday trip.

I have a variety of boats as well. I rely on tear-aid as a first line of defense. There's no glue to expire, there's no glue to mix, and it is a multiuse item for a variety of pieces of gear. A flat sleeping pad or blown neck gasket can impact a trip as much as a pinhole, so repair kits should be built with more in mind than repairing the boat.

When I carry/use glue, I prefer 1 part glue on the river for field repairs.

Last year, we had an IK pp a tube on a class V creek run here in WA. Short of heat welding a patch, NO glued on patch was gonna solve this tear, which was on a welded seam where the tube seam met the floor seam.

Tear aid went on in 5 minutes, got the boater down the run and off the river safely .... and truth be told the boater is still using the boat with the original field repaired tear aid patch holding just fine.

To me, patching a boat is a pretty basic deal, and if it can't be done, your group should be able to absorb gear/bodies and get everyone out.

So, I'd put more thought into the other stuff: extra oarlock, valve, valve wrench, split ring, the right wrenches for frame repair/adjustment, etc etc etc.

I've had at least 2 trips where the hole in a tube exceeded all the combined fabric from all the combined kits on a trip (and we weren't skimpy either). Unless you are gonna carry a spare floor or 30 sq feet of material, there's no such thing as a failproof repair kit.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My opinion on repair kits for class III-IV day trips- forget it. If you get a tear, strap the tube up as high as you can, and move on. It won't be a great handling boat, but it'll get you down. Then, when you get the boat back to a proper shop, you can put on a one time permanent patch, without having to remove a bunch of glue from a field patch. I'd go so far as to say that depending on the time of day, you might be making your situation worse to try to put a patch on on a day trip- think, an hour from the takeout, spend 2 hours patching a boat, now, instead of taking out at 5, you're out at 7. . .getting cold, dark, etc. And maybe the patch doesn't even hold.

Now, obviously for class V, or for multiday, or for heavy gear boats, you've gotta have a patch kit, but personally, I leave the patch kit at home for less than an overnight.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013   #10

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
i don't know.

take a patch kit so you don't need it.

i'm not superstitious, that's just bad luck!

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote