Renting a school bus ... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2012   #1

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
Renting a school bus ...

Hey all,

I'm helping to plan a 25 person MFS trip this June and thought it might be a good idea to rent a school bus instead of taking separate vehicles. Has anyone done this? Any idea on the cost? A few people in my group have a CDL passenger license, so it'd work out great if this is feasible.

Any experience or info would be sweet.

Thanks!

windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Not sure about 'renting'. How about having CTC do the drive back to Stanley for you with a 16 foot low sided trailer. We did 24 in it a couple years ago. $60 per car or so to get cars from Boundary to Stanley and the bus brings you back to Stanley for $1k or something like that. Easy peasy. Call Mike.

Middle Fork River Shuttle | Boise River Shuttles | Stanley Hiking Shuttle | Boise Bus Transportation | Caldwell Transportation

They will stop in Salmon for dinner. Or eat on the bus, they usually don't mind and we clean up after. Tip your driver.

they are also doing Boise to Stanley shuttles for friends who are flying in etc.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #3

not sure about renting but I bought one a couple years ago for $1200. You can find them online for cheap. Get everyone to chip in and ride to every river trip in style.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012   #4

Thanks for the tips. I called CTC and got a quote from them. I'm convinced that a bus shuttle would be worthwhile to save us the pain and suffering of shuttling cars for 25 people down to Cache. However, not everyone in our group is sold on the idea because of the of the expense. Anybody know of any other bus shuttle services I could check prices with? I'd also be interested in a shorter shuttle from Cache to Salmon, but nobody seems to offer that. If anybody has any leads I'd appreciate it.

Buying a school bus would be great, but I don't have a place to store it nor the mechanic skills to maintain an old beater bus.
Old 02-28-2012   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
25 people will need at least six cars unless you have Suburbans and what not. I would think anyway.

Shuttle is $225 to $250 per car PLUS you need to leave $80 to $100 for them to fill up in Salmon = $1,800 on the low side. If you can jam everything into four cars then it's kind of a push. And it will be tight without factoring in a full week of river stench crammed into an SUV. On the bus, we make sandwiches, drink, make a nest in the back of paco pads for snoozing....it just really works for us. And the best part....I don't have to drive coming off the rivrer. So my real or perceived sobriety is moot.

Just thought of something. Unless you have two permits, 24 is the max on the permit? Have you worked this out already, or did I miss something?

If you have six or seven of your crew that doesn't mind doing the shuttle then you can send six cars, come back in one and then only pay full shuttle for the one car to Cache.

That puts six of your group in a car for 11 to 12 hours of driving time the day before launch to save $50 per person.

Don't convince anyone, tell them this is the way it is. $50 to have everyone together and getting to know one another, work together rigging, learning everyone's boats and the "should-be-mandatory-before-every-trip" hour or two of throw bag tossing.

The other thing is if you have folks coming from all over to keep the six shuttle drivers from coming in at midnight in the return car, they need to leave by noon or so and then things have to go perfect.

Just some thoughts and keep in mind I hate to drive shuttle. Have done. For $50 I ain't driving 11 to 12 hours.

When is your date??
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #6

Launch date is June 19th. Yes, you are correct on the 24, not 25 for the permit.

Yeah, I'm all for the bus for all the reasons you stated. Problem is not everyone understands how nasty the shuttle is and how valuable it is to have extra time rigging boats as a complete group. And it's actually cheaper per person than you think; I worked out the mileages/gas and it'd only be around $20 bucks per person extra to take the bus vs shuttle ourselves.

I've called just about every shuttle company that I'm aware of to get their best quote and so far the CTC is the best deal. I'm just trying to make sure I've looked at every option and contacted all the companies before I return and report my findings to the group. I am not the permit holder, so the decision isn't mine to make. I'm just hoping to compile enough facts to make a logical argument in favor of the bus.
Old 02-28-2012   #7

Just tell them what the plan is and don't ask for input. Hopefully a few will disagree enough to bail and then you don't have to deal with a 24 person mf trip - win win.
mcfarlandandrew is offline   Reply With Quote