Reno Competition Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2005   #1

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Reno Competition Update

Things are starting to warm up in Reno. For starters, the weather. Today was nice and a lot of the top paddlers are showing up. Jay Kincaid, E.J, Jimmy Blakney, Andrew Holcombe, Brian Kirk. The list goes on and on. The water level is a bit low but seems to be on the rise now with the warmer weather. Should be about perfect by game day.
It is great to see everyone and the vibe is really fun. Paddle, hit a buffet, win some cash (i am up $90 on the roulette table), catch a show (Bareback is our favorite, a nude western theme ditty). The town roles out the red carpet for this one. Lots of media and tons of spectators. People love watching and this place is set up for it.

Matt and I are going to try and get lots of pictures and keep you posted. Things get started tonight with a bunch of parties and then open class starts tomorrow. Matt was going to paddle this division but said “I’m not going out there and getting my ass beat by some 11 year olds!” Hate to say it but he is right. There are some good play boaters here.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Hobie
Dagger Kayaks

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005   #2

Hey I think I know that matt guy. Isn't he about the same height as an eleven year old playboater??????

Hope you guys are havin fun. Wish I could be there. Win some money for me.
Waterpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #3

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
What a weekend. It's now Monday and I am sitting here at the business center at Harras with no voice left, tired, $20 down (Matt finished up by going all in on his last two hands and walked with two fity'), and totaly worn out. The rodeo went well and the river was up to produce a pretty sweet hole. EJ won, Jay was 2nd, and the cinderella story Steven wright took 3rd. Steve came here and earned his spot by competing thru the open division and stomped all the way thru to the finals. For the women it was Tonya Faux, then Emily Jackson (first pro event and she too had to work her way thru the field), and 3rd was Brooke Winger. The boater cross had Tao 1st and im not sure who was 2nd/3rd. I think it was Andrew Holcombe and Jimmy Blakeney. In all an epic weekend that finished up with Matt and I scoring free tickets to this topless show at Harrahs called "Bareback". Let's put it this way, I got a whole new outlook on westerns! In all another epic weekend here in Reno. Matt has a couple of shots he will post of some shadey late night blackjack with "Mr. Bright Eyes" Mike Harvey and the rest of the crew. Ive said it a million times "I love reno" and can't wait to get back here for next years event.
As for now we are off to Cali for a few days of creeking and then to Montucky and Idaho. See you out there.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
AWESOME WEEKEND!

some gambling pics are loaded. paddling pics should be coming soon.
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #5
DP/ Cinematographer

DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
you guys

"Spotlight" baybe. Ouch!

-Jack Tripper (Threes Company lives on)
Old 05-17-2005   #6

Thanks to all of you CO guys coming out and leaving your money behind. Our schools appreciate it.

Hobie and Mike kicked ass this weekend as MCs and kept the show going.

You guys just missed the flow went up monday to 2,500 and things went off. The lowest wave is insane at that level.

We are already talking about next year to make it bigger and better.

Next year Hobie the hairy backed wife chaser is not allowed.

Jim
JimLitchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
Jim-

Don't worry, i'll be back. a coupla things, though:

1- you got it backwards -- your wife was chasing me!
2- my back isn't THAT hairy!

hahaha

your card flew away in the wind, will you give me a call or email? (970.376.2146 [email protected])

matt
matts is offline   Reply With Quote