Recommendations for Grand private outfitters? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-08-2008   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Recommendations for Grand private outfitters?

Hitting the GC in January. We're doing a private. I'm looking for recommendations for companies that do the food and/or rafts, etc. Mostly the food. Experiences?
Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
P.R.O., have used them 3 times now, always gone with the "painless private" option and have no regrets.
Old 10-09-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Joe, I am going in about three weeks (Oct. 28th!!!, we picked Moenkopi River Works. Heard nothing but great things about them, and they had the most competitive price quote as well. We get off the Canyon Nov 12th and I will be happy to give you a rundown on them when I get back.

When we did our research we heard mostly positive things about both REO and PRO with the occasional negative or neutral review. The reviews about Moenkopi were glowing and we didn't find the negative or neutral reviews about them. Search through the posts at GCPBA and RRFW's yahoo groups and their sites and you will get a lot of feedback.

One other thing - short days are the norm so you want to tailor your menu to cooking in the cold and dark. Some of the outfitters will set you up to peel potatoes, cut 5 different kinds of veggies and generally do a lot of kitchen work, probably not fun in the cold and dark.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008   #4

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Hitting the GC in January. We're doing a private. I'm looking for recommendations for companies that do the food and/or rafts, etc. Mostly the food. Experiences?
Joe

Moenkopi Riverworks: Grand Canyon River Rentals
I live in flagstaff and the best co. is defiantly Moenkopi river works
they do it all
outfit, rent, food, travel all of it!!
small co, locals guys, not P.R.O. and there private jet and 40 huge gas vans
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #5
EZ

Brady is hilarious!

I just got off a GC trip in September and we used Moenkopi Riverworks. I definately recommend them over REO. I haven't used PRO, but Brady at Moenkopi is a great guy with great equipment and service.

If you do use Moenkopi, check out their Country Boy menu options. We had the pulled pork and it was super easy and great tasting. The meat is already cooked and you just open up the vacuum bag and dump and heat. Next time, I am going with Country Boy dinners every night!

PM me if you want and I can send along the menu we used and some comments.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is another option that I've heard good things about for food.

Karen M. House, LPC

Cocina del Rio

Catering to River Rats

www.coconadelrio.com <http://www.coconadelrio.com/>

505-670-2585

And like has been mentioned, Brady gets good reviews for the whole deal.
No personal experience with either.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #7

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Used PRO and REO. Both were fine but PRO was better. REO gave us way too much food which was hard to pack. With both companies we only paid for ten people even though there were 12 of us. We still hauled way too much food out as waste. I would do the food myself because it's a lot cheaper. If I used an outfitter I would use the "Painless PRO" if i I do it again. The drivers from both companies were great. Like an earlier post stated you want to spend your time enjoying the trip. Look for meals that have no prep time (peeling potatoes or long cooking stews, etc). I could eat burgers, hot dogs, and canned beans three days a week if I had a choice because of easy cooking. (I'm a food service guy in the real world so I don't want to cook for fifteen on my time off.)
Old 10-09-2008   #8

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ View Post
I just got off a GC trip in September and we used Moenkopi Riverworks. I definately recommend them over REO. I haven't used PRO, but Brady at Moenkopi is a great guy with great equipment and service.

If you do use Moenkopi, check out their Country Boy menu options. We had the pulled pork and it was super easy and great tasting. The meat is already cooked and you just open up the vacuum bag and dump and heat. Next time, I am going with Country Boy dinners every night!

PM me if you want and I can send along the menu we used and some comments.
you should try to pay brady in beer
he'll probably do it
he is a great guy and halarious especially with a few beers in him
also Rico same both flg locals
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
"Door to Door" same as "Painless Private" on PRO???

Quote:
Originally Posted by relikpaul View Post
Moenkopi Riverworks: Grand Canyon River Rentals
I live in flagstaff and the best co. is defiantly Moenkopi river works
they do it all
outfit, rent, food, travel all of it!!
small co, locals guys, not P.R.O. and there private jet and 40 huge gas vans
Hey, Paul. I checked out Moenkopi's website. Is their "door to door" the same idea as PRO's "painless private?" Moenkopi's food selection looks waaayyy better, fresher, etc. and the only one thing we have always found to be drawback of PRO is like others said: too much food, a little too much prep time, and occasionally some issues finding where things were packed. Otherwise, PRO's gear, service, and people have been great.
Even as a former guide with my own gear, I still prefer showing up down there and using the bigger boats specifically set up for those Grand-sized loads, food all packed, etc. We have an '09 trip coming, and seems well worth looking into Moenkopi more, especially if their boats/frames are similar to what PRO provides. What did you think of the raft setups?
Old 10-09-2008   #10

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
CIEBA ADVENTURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Joe
check out cieba they're small and fun to deal with I went through pro in 05, and gonna use cieba this time for january 17th whats your date? dirka dirka ADAM S
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote