Recommendation for a late march multiday...Ladore??? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-30-2013   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Recommendation for a late march multiday...Ladore???

Coming from Oregon.... curious about the Gates of Ladore section on the green in late March.....please share any thoughts on the river at this time (i.e. flows, weather, ice, cold, camps, ease of getting an off-season permit, good beta contacts / phone #or website). I am also looking for the best website for historical data on cfs for this river section. Also, if you have a recommendation for another river section at this time of year that allows for some warmth and sun that you recommend, please advise...thanks!!!!.............

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
March iffy

I would note that the BLM warns you about possible ice on the Green River in March in Deso-Gray.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/price...f/icewarn.html

Deso-Gray is lower in elevation than Lodore, and further south, so Lodore could be colder and have more ice. On the other hand, it is just below the dam, so that could make a difference.

Call Kelly at Dinosaur NP before noon, 970 374-2468, she is probably the best source on Lodore, she has been on that job for a while.

You might look at the San Juan River in southern Utah as an alternative, lower and further south than most options. Those permits are not usually that hard to get, I understand, especially off season. I have done that river in April, not bad.

The Salt river in Arizona is an alternative, further south, but you have already missed the lottery, some of my friends have launch dates. I have heard some folks talking up the Verde, but I know little about it, except there is no permit required. Arizona is a long way, but if you want warmth and sun.....

If you want big waves, look at Cataract canyon downstream from Moab Utah, although March would be lower flow. Permits are there for the asking, anytime.

These are some thoughts, I am sure that other people will have good ideas.

Good luck.

Richard
Old 01-31-2013   #3

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Rubyhorsetheif & Westwater can be combined for a nice 2-3 day float and are usually free of ice and floatable by the end of March. You will need to obtain two different permits though.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013   #4

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
The Salt would be great for that time slot if you could get on a trip, I have been on Cataract in the middle of March and the weather was reasonable. Also consider the Owyhee which is actually in your state depending on the melt. I dont think March is a good time to run the Ladore and with another drought year in the rockies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon595 View Post
Coming from Oregon.... curious about the Gates of Ladore section on the green in late March.....please share any thoughts on the river at this time (i.e. flows, weather, ice, cold, camps, ease of getting an off-season permit, good beta contacts / phone #or website). I am also looking for the best website for historical data on cfs for this river section. Also, if you have a recommendation for another river section at this time of year that allows for some warmth and sun that you recommend, please advise...thanks!!!!.............
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #5

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The Lower Salmon could be an option. We put in last year on March 30th. It rained off and on and had chilly mornings and nights but during the day was warm and sunny. Put in at Hammer Creek and take out at Heller Bar on the Snake - 4 to 5 day trip or put in at Pine Bar for a 3 to 4 day trip. If you go check the flow, probably don't want to do it if it's more than 20,000cfs
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Hells Canyon is low elevation like the Lower Salmon. Could be done. Such a deep canyon I don't know what the sun would be like that time of year. Usually I am trying to stick to the shade.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
The Salt would be great for that time slot if you could get on a trip, I have been on Cataract in the middle of March and the weather was reasonable. Also consider the Owyhee which is actually in your state depending on the melt. I dont think March is a good time to run the Ladore and with another drought year in the rockies...
flows on the Owyhee are most reilable for a raft run in late march and early april, that being said there can be sun, for a few moments in between hail, rain, snow, and 50 mph winds that time of year
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #8

Ashland, Oregon
thanks

Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming! Appreciate the feedback!
Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The Owyhee is what you should look into that time of year unless you are into driving far south into utah
Old 02-02-2013   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The Owyhee is what you should look into that time of year unless you are into driving far south into utah
I would totally concur, though the need for sun should not be a priority. It can be sunny, it can be damn nice in the spring, but it can also suck total hairy goat nuts!

An example of what the expected weather and flow variation on the owyhee in the spring is attached
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/a...6&d=1320211070
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote