REALLY? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-08-2013   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
REALLY?

As drought is threatening flat water recreation, the "brilliant" engineers are looking for solutions! When will they admit defeat? Will they always search for solutions (band-aids) that will keep them one step away from receiving the bonehead award. Perhaps we should start a bonehead award for anybody that is behind bad ideas like damning the west.

Boats to get shortcut to Lake Powell due to low water levels | ksl.com

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's probably too much to ask that they take some of the 70000 cubic yards of silt removed and dump it into the river below the dam. . .
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
OMFG, in this day and age.... Why has no one sued? From what I read they aren't removing silt, they are actually going to cut into the native ground to create a channel. If it was just silt, then whatever.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
So where are these boaters driving from that 10 miles round trip is gonna make any impact?
Old 03-09-2013   #5

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
What a shit show...
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Shallow Thinking for Deeper Channel

Sad state of affairs... How about limiting access from Wahweap and only allowing fuel efficient water craft access from there? So many options and we choose the one with brute force and shallow thinking.
Old 03-09-2013   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I'll take another angle on this one- Running 10 miles in a narrow river channel in a power boat causes a lot of bank erosion. I don't see what the panic is here in dredging a channel in a lake bed? Less fuel burn, less erosion- ???
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It's all sandstone cliffs along the main channel, basically no erosion, and it's not dredging a lake bed, it's cutting through a gap in the rock that was covered (briefly) by a reservoir that is unlikely to ever be full again.

I bet a lawsuit would lose, because you can't sue to stop stupid. The environmental impact is minimal because it is already an "impacted" area i.e. sacrificed in the 50's to the lake. And it won't change the erosion all that much to have a little rock moved around.

A lot of money tied up in houseboats...
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Ah, it is NOT a lake bed (insert insults here that violate buzz rules)! It is the top of the walls and plateau of glen canyon. Which is a national treasure just waiting for it's turn again. Foul reservoir, puke!
Old 03-09-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
OMFG, in this day and age.... Why has no one sued? From what I read they aren't removing silt, they are actually going to cut into the native ground to create a channel. If it was just silt, then whatever.
Like.

The days of canal building are past. Too many unknowns to mine bedrock just for recreation.

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote