Rattlesnakes in Waterton Canyon.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Rattlesnakes in Waterton Canyon....

Last summer my girlfriend and I were down at Waterton Canyon and saw a rattlesnake. Has anyone else seen them down there I don't know if it was just fluke or if there is a population of them down there. I ask B/C we bring the dogs down there all the time. Any info would be helpful.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have seen them on the single track in Waterton before. I wouldn't say you seeing them was a fluke, but I do not think the canyon is overrun by them. I have seen rattle snakes on the trails of Mount Falcon, White Ranch, and Green Mountain (multiple times).
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You can get your dogs the rattlesnake "vaccine," which is 2 shots of de-activated venom. My vet says that it can prevent death in a Yorkshire Terrier after a full injection bite from a rattler. It's about $100 total to do this.

My friend's dog was bitten last summer and he had to fork over $1000 for the anti-venom. He's lucky the dog lived. My dogs are getting the shots and I hate vaccinations.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You can get your dogs the rattlesnake "vaccine," which is 2 shots of de-activated venom. My vet says that it can prevent death in a Yorkshire Terrier after a full injection bite from a rattler. It's about $100 total to do this.

My friend's dog was bitten last summer and he had to fork over $1000 for the anti-venom. He's lucky the dog lived. My dogs are getting the shots and I hate vaccinations.
I am gonna have to ask my vet about that, thanks for the info.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #5

Deckers, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
They are not uncommon in the rock crags surrounding the canyon. I have seen 4 or 5 in the area over the last few years. The confluence area is also home to a number of mountain lions.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I worry more about those damn horses I once saw them just kicking the shit of this little red toyota parked under the tree! Seems every year the snakes are spotted down there just be careful where you step! By all means watch the dogs and kids along the trail!
RandyP
Old 04-20-2010   #7
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post

Our dog gets the rattlesnake vaccine every year, and the way our vet explained it to us, it doesn't mean he won't still need the anti-venom if he's bit - it just buys extra time with which to get to the anti-venom. A few extra hours to get him to the vet if he's bitten seems like it's worth $120/year to me.

L
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I worry more about those damn horses I once saw them just kicking the shit of this little red toyota parked under the tree!
Hilarious!
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboda View Post
I have seen them on the single track in Waterton before. I wouldn't say you seeing them was a fluke, but I do not think the canyon is overrun by them. I have seen rattle snakes on the trails of Mount Falcon, White Ranch, and Green Mountain (multiple times).

I've seen rattlers on the single track at Lair of the Bear.
goofy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote