Rattlesnake at Whiteline putin (Poudre) - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2014   #1

Ft Collins, Colorado
Rattlesnake at Whiteline putin (Poudre)

There was a small rattlesnake peacefully sunning itself on the "path" to the river at the base of Whiteline yesterday. We didn't bother it, an it didn't bother us. It sunning in a rather cryptic location, just below a rock.

It might be prudent to look a little more carefully then usual for the next couple weeks.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Rattler

There was a rattler as thick around as a baseball bat hanging off the rocks river left of the eddy above thunder alley (Claire's rock etc.). This was last Thursday....kind of awesome. Anybody know if they swim?
Old 08-19-2014   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I've had a friend flip one in the river with his paddle and my boat looked like a good piece of dry land. I had to paddle like hell to get away from it. They are all over out there from at least the narrows down. Big ones and little ones.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I saw two on Hewlett Gulch this weekend after not seeing any at all this year. Also, a friend reported seeing one in an eddy on Poudre Park or Bridges and it did swim to shore so apparently they can swim - yikes
Old 08-19-2014   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I think all snakes can swim...? I moved one off the road right below picnic rock (filter plant take out) the other night on my drive out. Was a small one though.

Jen - did you guys skip the ark this past weekend?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Jen - did you guys skip the ark this past weekend?
Yeah, we lost motivation after recalling the horrible traffic on 285 the weekend before :P