Rapid Lightning Creek & Riley Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2012   #1

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Rapid Lightning Creek & Riley Creek

In the past, I haven't been much into creeking, but I've heard of a couple creeks in southern Idaho near Twin Falls that run year round. Saw a video of Rapid Lightning Creek and Riley Creek. Anyone have beta on these stretches. Are these creeks near to one another? How difficult are they? Would they be considered biginner creek runs? Are these runs really year round? I've heard something about a spring that keeps the water warm all winter. Thanks in advance for the info!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Riley Creek is the easiest 20 footer anywhere. It's only one waterfall and lands in flatwater, literally in the backyards of some nice little homes in a neighborhood. It runs year found.

Box Canyon is a few miles away and has a 20 footer, but the line is tighter, the lead-in is class 3+ and the consequences are bigger. Solid class 4 boaters might like this. It's warm water (swam in February there) and runs year round.

Not far away from there is Deep Creek, a several mile run with two 15 foot waterfalls and numerous drops rated class 4 to 5-. It's dirty water, and it runs usually only in the fall (right now!) and sometimes in the spring. This is where Boise boaters that are progressing into the class 5 realm test their creeking skills.

These runs are all close to each other a couple hours away near the town of Buhl, ID.

Also worth checking out is Succor Creek, it runs only on good years for a few spring days and is rated Class 4/5. It's near the town of Homedale, ID.

Rapid Lightning Creek is NOT a beginner run and it's way north near the town of Sandpoint, ID.

I hope this helps. Lots of photos on KayakIdaho.com and some video on youtube if you google it.

-Micah Kneidl
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #3

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
cool web site (saved it in favorites) and thanks for the detailed info micah.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012   #4

Thanks Farve!

Can't wait to get my first huck in some time soon! Anyone have any advise for doing that first huck off the waterfall?
Old 09-10-2012   #5

student
First you buck up, then you huck it
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Yeah just do it get forward elbows up! Don't boof a fatty flat with a vertical spine. Bad compression instead go for the whip lash technique we should run Mesa and cave falls instead super goods
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
man we need shit like that around here : rookie waterfalls -intro creekin 'runs with falls -year round flows....you potato eaters are spoiled.....no wonder you guys kick so much ass
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Yeah just do it get forward elbows up! Don't boof a fatty flat with a vertical spine. Bad compression instead go for the whip lash technique we should run Mesa and cave falls instead super goods
Thanks for the advise! Didn't know about the elbow thing. So is it best to pretty much pencil the drop unless it is shallow? Should I try to get a little bit of a boof on the clean ones so I don't invert myself while dropping?

CM - I might just take you up on the offer one of these days. Thanks! Cave falls looks like fun! Don't think I would likely survive the 2 part drop of Lower Mesa Falls though. Is Cave Falls running this time of year?