Rancho to Catamount, 1st time - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Rancho to Catamount, 1st time

Hi, are the flows safe for me to float rancho to catamount, overnight trip for the first time? I need some practice and need to learn on this stretch a few times. I have a Aire Super Puma 13'. Thanks.

Ted

tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You should be fine - I think its a better stretch for a novice than Pumphouse to State bridge. Launching at Rauncho del Rio will get you a few more rapids above SB. There'll be lots of smaller rapids down to about Bond then the river's pretty flat but has swiftly-flowing current all the way to Catamount. If you can find a campsite, camp below Bond if you can, it seems like a lot of train traffic leaves the river there.

PM me wiith your email addy and I'll send you a PDF of the BLM guidebook on the Upper C.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #3
bth

PM me wiith your email addy and I'll send you a PDF of the BLM guidebook on the Upper C.

----would you email it to me as well, please? [email protected]
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lets try this - Andy R, the site owner just made some changes to make attaching a file easier. A couple of years ago I couldn't find the "Juniper Glen" campsite - it may have become overgrown since the book was printed. If you find it, please let us know and what the landmarks are for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upper_C_BLM_Guide.pdf (2.72 MB, 143 views)
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Found Juniper Glen a few years ago....definitely stay at cottonwood bend, I think the camp is right at the apex of the bend, or stay about 1/2 mile upstream from Cottonwood, several small camp sites that are adequate on river left. Juniper glen was a 100 yard march over some wood that was over a marshy area into a small grove of junipers, and was overrun by mice on our late fall trip several years ago. We camped at one of the small sites above Cottonwood last late September and it was a much better choice!

SH
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote