Ramp etiquette - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2011   #1

eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Ramp etiquette

With rafting season upon us, and after already encountering some very clueless boaters on the upper c, I just wanted to refresh everyone on using the ramp. Thanks and happy boating

When using a boat launching site, you should be organized before you approach the actual launching area. If rafting, have the raft inflated, the rowing frame ready and most of the gear in the raft before you move to the river's edge. Canoeists and kayakers should put their lighter items into the boats before approaching the launch area. Fishing rods should be rigged and unrigged well away from the access ramp. Once in the water, clear the area as soon as possible.

Leave plenty of room for others using the put-ins and take-outs by consolidating your gear and moving the vehicles off the launch sites as quickly as possible.

(This is from the BLM website, not my own personal rules)

mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Good point mischief. Seen both privates and commercial trips guilty of etiquette ignorance and other common sense issues.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
If only the commercial trips would follow these rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
With rafting season upon us, and after already encountering some very clueless boaters on the upper c, I just wanted to refresh everyone on using the ramp. Thanks and happy boating

When using a boat launching site, you should be organized before you approach the actual launching area. If rafting, have the raft inflated, the rowing frame ready and most of the gear in the raft before you move to the river's edge. Canoeists and kayakers should put their lighter items into the boats before approaching the launch area. Fishing rods should be rigged and unrigged well away from the access ramp. Once in the water, clear the area as soon as possible.

Leave plenty of room for others using the put-ins and take-outs by consolidating your gear and moving the vehicles off the launch sites as quickly as possible.

(This is from the BLM website, not my own personal rules)
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011   #4

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Wow. It only took three posts for one side to take a shot at the other. There is no shortage of clueless boaters - commercial or private. There are also some very efficient, couteous and even helpful boaters as well - both commercial and private.

Does EVERY thread have to turn into and us vs them thread?
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #5

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
Does EVERY thread have to turn into and us vs them thread?
Yes Syrup IS better than Jelly
Mr. Shlitzenturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #6

Are you saying i should stop setting up my groover on the ramp?
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Also, try not to spread out the picnic on the take-out ramp.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #8

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
So what's the etiquette when someone isn't following boat ramp etiquette? There was a group blowing their boat up by hand right on the boat ramp last weekend, so I pulled my trailer down right by them and they thought I was the asshole. So instead of me unloading my raft directly into the river and pulling out of the way (usually takes about 30 seconds) I found four guys to help me carry it around the dumb asses on the ramp. I didn't say much to them, b/c I don't really like arguing w/ someone who obviously doesn't have a clue. Durango's 32nd ST. put in is always a cluster [email protected]#.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #9

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
correct me if I am wrong but I go to the river to slow my life down, not to get all anxious and uppity.
If you are in a hurry to get on the river and some greenhorn gets you all spun out before your oars are wet then maybe you should stay home
smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #10

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If there is a dumb ass blowing up their boat on a ramp I will ask nicely then still drive the trailer down. That's why they build ramps. I actually go raftin to get outside and to get a little action. If you want peace... Go to the beach.
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote