From the national weather service...

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL ARE POSSIBLE
THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. AT THIS TIME...THE HIGHEST THREAT AREA
FOR HEAVY RAIN APPEARS TO BE SETTING UP ACROSS THE FRONT RANGE
FOOTHILLS AND PARK COUNTY. HOWEVER...DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF
SURFACE HEATING AND INSTABILITY...STORMS WITH HEAVY RAIN MAY ALSO
DEVELOP EASTWARD ACROSS THE FRONT RANGE URBAN CORRIDOR THIS
AFTERNOON. THE STRONGEST STORMS TODAY WILL HAVE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE
FLOODING WITH 2 INCHES OF RAIN IN LESS THAN AN HOUR.

Keep an eye on the gauges! I'm hoping bear creek gets nailed!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tlaloc

i will burn an offering for Tlaloc
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #3

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Even with 2 inches of rain, it is unlikely that Bear will come up to a runnable level....unfortunately, best bets with rain this time of year are Confluence and the Cherry Creek hole. Clear Creek usually even remains unchanged. I hope I am wrong.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Johnny, I think you are wrong. Historical data does not support your claim.

Clear creek came up 40cfs with 1/3" of rain measured in georgetown a couple days ago.

Bear creek ran last year in July over 200cfs and denver rain gauges showed .38" and .68" for two days prior to it running. That same rain event brought clear creek up over 200cfs. It was July 8&9 last year. Of course that rain event was long, but low intensity. High intensity short rainfalls can produce larger streamflows due to lack of the soils ability to absorb the precipitation fast enough.

If two inches or rain falls in an hour over any significant portion of a front range drainage (or any drainage!), its coming up, and probably a lot. It all depends on where it falls (how high up in the drainage) and how much. 2" up in the foothills around evergreen will nail bear creek. Flood warning means time to go boating!
Old 07-19-2007   #5

Geologist, Colorado
I'm just reporting what i have observed in the past....sure you might surf the bubble down the river if you happen to be in the river bed at just the right time, but I'm talking about sustained level and enough of a change to make it worth it. If this rain materializes into something significant, your best bets are with Connie and Cherry Creek. Only time will tell, we'll see. If bear is raging out of it's banks, dude, I'll be there.
Old 07-19-2007   #6

castle rock
Send a message via AIM to liam dunn
what is the cherry creek hole and where is it
liam dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #7

If it rains enough so we can boat, I called it worth it.

I was there last year at Bear and it was worth it.

I think I'll go back outside & dance some more.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #8

Geologist, Colorado
Unfortunately, looks like rain on the FR has tapered off. Any more updates on the weather?

The Cherry Creek hole is upstream on Cherry Creek above Confluence Park. It won't run today. There needs to be significant water in the creek for it to run.
Old 07-19-2007   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Johnny, I guess you didn't observe 40+ boaters on bear creek last year at over 200 cfs. It had boatable flows for two entire days. Thats sustainable and worth it in just about everybody's book I know.

My point is that rain gets the creeks going, it has before, and if there is significant precipitation in the foothills it will again.

Confluence spikes every time it rains moderately hard on Denver because its concrete and there is no where else for the water to go. The creeks don't respond unless there is significant precip in the foothills.

The weather report suggested late afternoon / evening storms on the foothills.

Check the gauges in the morning.

I'm doing a rain dance for bear creek. If all I get is confluence, I'll take it.
Old 07-19-2007   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Cherry Creek hole is down at Confluence,is the confluence,there is some kind of gate for 'punt the creek"[ a real lame Venice style gondola ride thru downtown Denver} if it is crankin'and the gate is set right this hole gets good,a couple years ago it got up to 2010 cfs and was described by someone as the 'best hole in the state",if it isn't you still have the stuff from Confluence to Trestle,good play high.There is a 'Cadillac Wave'near Broadway that some people play,the river thru there is flat w/II'S but low bridges and few eddies.From the dam to Cherry Creek mall can offer a run at high/floodstage levels,the boogie water is uninteresting flat with some junky 2's but there is a new hole a block east of Havana that was fun to surf at 600[dam release}and 4 drops of note FKA Rebar [ apx.Yale and Dayton} is a 3/3+ apx 9 ft staircase type drop is fun.ILLIFF , agood sized manky drop with no clean lines a far left or right center works at 200-300 at high flows it's hard to read with aeriated spray splashing every which way,Bull n'Bush
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote