Rags over the Arkansas River on National Public Radio - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-18-2012   #1

Jenks, Oklahoma
Rags over the Arkansas River on National Public Radio

It's finally made national news!

What got me was one commercial raft owner stated he was in favor of the project because his passengers would enjoy looking at the bottom of the cloth. Not the natural Big Horn Canyon scenes.

Not me!

I make the long drive to Salida / Buena Vista several times a year and have for many years.

I come to see the area not the bottom of some one's fabric awning.

For me, Pueblo and Canon City can say good bye to the gas and food stops I make there during the multiple years of construction. Due to traffic delays during all that heavy equipment work, I will probably come in via another route. If I come at all.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Goodbye to your gas stops, hello food and gas stops for all the workers who come to the town and all the visitors who come for the exhibition. It's a short term project that will bring tons of money to an area that relies heavily on tourism.

The 'awnings' are short spans. You will still be able to see the beautiful scenery between the sections, plus the fabric is said to be "translucent." Furthermore, the scenery in Bighorn Sheep Canyon is far from natural with the beautiful highway on one side and the eye-catching railroad on the other.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #3

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
this will be a serious boon for area businesses, and will be cool to see and experience, especially from a kayak.
I wonder how the pueblo and canon city convenience stores will make it without the snickers and water purchases by okie and other like-minded folk?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Gents, you make your point well.

I cannot dispute the fact that construction spending will probably offset the hundred bucks or so folks like me spend getting to Salida from points east several times a year.

I hope the short term gains during construction are enough to take care of the long term damage to the area. I know the powers that be say the area will be restored after the project is completed. Consider me to be extremely cautious in believing this. Money seems to go away when clean up time comes.

It is your local river for sure, however it is much loved by a lot of us from outside the area who love it for what it is, roadside highway and RR tracks included.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
okie, christo isn't exxon or BP or some other shitty company.and if they had a track record of shitting the bed after each exhibit they would never get to do another.

and in all seriousness, i would like to hear if it does become some huge hassle for you in the construction phase.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Go take a look at rifle gap & tell me about this "artist" & his environmentaly sound track record.
Old 02-19-2012   #7

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic
Go take a look at rifle gap & tell me about this "artist" & his environmentaly sound track record.
Did they not follow up on clean up? Did it Alter what it was from before? Im not familiar with rifle gap. My thoughts personally is if it can not be done within "leave no trace" it should not happen. Colorado is an amazing place that needs to be kept as close to natural as possible.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #8

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Ok looked rifle gap up. Question is god why do that? From the pics I saw of rifle gap ,all it really is ian eye sore that takes away from the natural beauty around it.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
If you like to float that section of river.....expect river closures and permits before and after construction.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
If you like to float that section of river.....expect river closures and permits before and after construction.
I am assuming river closures were addressed in the permitting proccess?
And is this above or below the Pinicale Rock put in for the Royal Gorge?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas, arkansas river