Rafts use caution at GWS water park - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2008   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rafts use caution at GWS water park

Just a heads up and FYI. Rafters be careful when going thru GWS water park. At river left there is a large drop into a very strong hydraulic at the bottom. We almost lost it there this weekend. There were several rafts that did not make it through and were spit out. The safer way is to stay river right.

Todd

tmcfuturedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2
GCK

Yes, the boat passage is river right though not all the way to the bank. Center/right should definetely be avoided.
GCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
So GCK...we shouldn't go all the way right near the bank and also avoid center-right. So shoudl we just run it left where the first poster said was a big raft flipper.

wery, wery confuushusing !!
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008   #4

Does anybody else see the problem with putting a raft flipping playhole on a class II stretch of river?. From the pics and reports it seems this playspot may cause problems for unwary boaters. And river is still rising!
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #5
GCK

The river is very wide here and the boat chute is river right. Center-right, perhaps 30-40' off the bank, is the largest part of the hole at this level (exposed at low flows) and should be avoided. At these really high levels a clean tongue can also be found far left. The main wave, in the center, is large and also could cause problems. Scout if you feel uncomfortable. Navigating through the park is comparable in difficulty to navigating South Canyon Rapid not far downstream.
GCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #6

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
mucho clearer thanks. Never even given though to rafting/paddling this area 9even ShoSho) now it sounds more meaty (ie- with kiddies)

thanks
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #7

gwood

Far Right or Far Left are pretty mellow with rafts, the only raft flipper is anywhere in the middle. Who cares where they put that thing or how many rafts it flips, its sick.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #8
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by thogan View Post
Does anybody else see the problem with putting a raft flipping playhole on a class II stretch of river?. From the pics and reports it seems this playspot may cause problems for unwary boaters. And river is still rising!
You would have to be a complete moron to flip here. If you can't go right or left you should stay on shore.

As for rafting with kiddies. If you are on the colorado at 12000cfs you'r kids better know how to swim, even if it is class II.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You know, some people may not see it that way. I'm a rafter and I think that the wave is awesome. I go down there nearly every night to watch people surf. However, I somewhat agree that it will cause problems for some inexperienced rafters. That wave was built on a class II run that was really nice to take kids, family etc down at any level. Now there is a wave that could potentially flip a boat. No, you don't have to be a moron to flip there, just in the wrong spot in the river.

I'm sure that there are lots of people out there that think that that wave should not be there. You have to think about the river from other boaters perspectives and not just your own playboating perspective.

I like the wave, but I'm not naive to think that everyone likes it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
You would have to be a complete moron to flip here. If you can't go right or left you should stay on shore.

As for rafting with kiddies. If you are on the colorado at 12000cfs you'r kids better know how to swim, even if it is class II.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
This is by no means a killer death wave that will flip every raft that goes through. Its at flood stage right now and is really really big as you can see from pictures. The Colorado hasn't gotten this big in a very long time and because of that its no longer a class II run. When at Normal flows, I imagine there is very little potential for flippage. Why you wouldn't expect things to get significantly larger at this much flow I'm not sure.

Definitely good to hear some heads up though. The nice thing is, not much downstream from there, so it might be fun to go try and punch the big nasty part. Who knows, I would have to see it first me thinks.

Cheers,

JH
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark