Rack question... - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2005   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
Rack question...

My current vehicle has a roof rack built in so I have never used a Yakima or Thule rack on my car. It looks like they attach and hook inside the door opening and I was curious how stable these are? Also any opinions on which company had the best system would be helpful as well.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
GH,

I had a Thule rack, and it worked great. I used "feet" that actually hooked onto my old factory rack, so it didn't mount in the rain gutter of the vehicle. Everyone I have talked to likes the Thule kayak stackers much better than the Yakima stacker, that's why I picked the Thule. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but at least with the Thule attachments, it seems they are now more universal where they can fit on almost any kind of bar.

By the way, I don't have it advertised in the swap yet, but I sold my Blazer, and got a pickup, but kept the rack. I have the Thule 450 feet, some bars, and attachments I might be willing to sell for a good price. I've kept that stuff around thinking I might one day get a topper for the truck, but it will be a long time before I have extra money to spend on something like that. I think the rack was only on my Blazer for 6 months or something.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I have the Thules that hook into the doors. I think they're pretty bomber. In fact I remember seeing that they're rated for more weight than the Subaru factory racks.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thule, Yakima...all the same. With Yakima you can buy american. They work on an almost identical design and cost is almost equivalent. Mine do hug the top of the car just under the door and I've never had a problem. If you try to use one super long strap to tie on a boat and create force that pulls the bars together they will move when you sinch it, so you must use two straps. The old style yakima stackers suck but the new ones (really the oldest design) are simple and way user friendly. I can't speak for the thule system...never used it. My advice...look for a deal and go with either company.
Old 09-15-2005   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sorry, BSOE thule makes I believe 80 or 90% of their product in connecticut and warehouses it here in Denver. The stuff not made here is made in sweden or norway I can't remeber.

Yakima is made in asia.

Thule has a better fit because they make a fit for every model of car individual, whereas yakima makes each clip fit multiple cars so in the end it might not be quite as tight as yakima.

Also since thule is a euro country they test the shit out of those things so they can withstand speeds for the autobhan, whereas yakima will not test out to those standards.

Hope this helps
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I was just looking, it looks like yakima and thule stackers work on each other's bars, at least for the new stuff. (I'm pretty sure the old thule stacker wouldn't work on a yakima rack). So get whatever rack you want, then should be able to get whatever stacker you want.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
So does the tower remove the paint from your roof over time since it is just sitting on the roof?
Good news that it is rated better than the suby factory rack. That is what I am using now with my wrx wagon.
Old 09-15-2005   #8
cdw

rack

I have a set of 2x4s that feed over/under the suby factory racks and rest on the suby side bars that are part of the roof. The whole thing cost less than a single Thule or Yakima crossbar, and it's all customizable with bike mounts, saddle for the conventional hulled creeker, etc.
-old school
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
I was thinking bout ditching the suby for something else which why I was asking about the type that attached to my door frame. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 09-16-2005   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditching the suby? Why on earth? Anyway, if you're looking at volkswagons for whatever reason they have short metal buttons stowed under the rubber around the door frames and the yakima (and probably Thule) clips have the female end that matches up. Makes for a super sturdy rack that doesn't move a micron. a buddy drove a jetta, so at least that model has it. Not that I'm advocating jetta purchase. Eurovan, maybe.