R There Rapids between BV & Browns put-in - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
R There Rapids between BV & Browns put-in

I am looking for a good raft float with the kids(5 and under). Whose run this? Is there anything in there to be concerned about?
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
I am looking for a good raft float with the kids(5 and under). Whose run this? Is there anything in there to be concerned about?
Thanks
BV Town Run to Johnson Village - demo'd dam with a so called boat chute on the right. Some run it left. Never rafted it. I kayak. Probably wouldn't take the kiddos.

Milk Run - Johnson Village to Fishermans or a bit further to Ruby Mountain - clean so take the kids.
Old 05-21-2010   #3

Frisco, Colorado
It has been years since I ran that section, but I recall it as mild. However I double checked a map and it shows a couple class III - IV rapids - so that seems like a no go. See here...

http://www.arkansasriverrafting.net/...ap_numbers.gif

I think the Pumphouse to Radium run, or even to State Bridge, on the Colorado River is a great float trip w/ kids - also a fun overnighter too!
RockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The BV Town run is definitely not for kiddies as not only is there the dam but there's also a swift-moving stretch of Class III that would be an ugly swim for little people if one were to have an out of boat experience. You can launch at Wilderness Aware for about $3 - $5 per boat and take out at Ruby Mountain for (another $5/car) a fun, splashy day with the kids.

Have a good time!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Thanks for the info. Wilderness Aware to Ruby Mtn it is.
Old 05-21-2010   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The other fun one for kids is either big bend to salida or salida east to rincon.

Both are very mellow, big bend to salida has one low head dam with a very easy mellow boat ramp on the left.

Salida east is super chill with lots of little splashy class 1 and 2 rapids, we did a mothers day float this year on that section. Just so you know as well this is the busiest fishing section on the river, so the put in and take out's are designed for trailers and the rangers will get on you if you hog up the ramp while inflating and rigging.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns