Quickie Edit Portneuf River - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2011   #1
NWboater

Salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quickie Edit Portneuf River

Here's a mini-edit from my friend Alex. Portneuf River near Lava Hot Springs Idaho. I do not appear in this video, but thought it was fun anyway. Song is Nicki Minaj ft. Gyptian-- Hold Yuh Remix

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
mcoper8901

Nice post. I went to ISU in Pocatello years ago, prior to getting into kayaking, and spent a lot of time in the pools at Lava, probably more time then I should have. Looks like a fun run loaded with character and a great chance to practice your boof stroke.

So how often does this section of the Portneuf River run? Maybe I could hit this run next time driving through.

Thanks, Lenny.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
It looks like you all skipped the narrow section that runs through town - the section that is so popular with all the tubers in low water. What was that section like at the high flows?
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011   #4

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The upper portneuf has a usgs gauge at Topaz. The features get runnable at 300 and fairly clean at 400. That run was 800?

In 10 years I have seen it run big twice. It runs up to 350 about every other or every third year, usually for a week or two. This year it ran for 3 months.

Both times it has run huge in that last 15 years there has been a near drowning at the very first falls, be careful.

We did run the tuber section and it is fun but just fast and fairly easy wave trains. There is one pourover right by the hot pools but not bad and sneakable on the left.

If you are in town during the sspring runoff bring a boat it is worth a few laps.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #5
NWboater

Salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
As much as I'd love to be able to answer these questions, I can not with any kind of accuracy as I've never run the portneuf. Your best bet for getting information on this run would be to ask Alex on Vimeo. He ran it multiple times this spring. Thanks for the feedback guys!