Quick question on Loma / Ruby Horsethief - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
Quick question on Loma / Ruby Horsethief

Anyone know if you need a toilet and fire pan for this one? Thinking of doing a self-support overnight float and certainly don't have room for either in a kayak. I know they are such nazis at the westwater put-in so I wanted to check on this. any beta appreciated. thanks.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005   #2

It's been many years, but I'm pretty sure we did it without either last time we were there. I'm not positive, though.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #3
tea

You don't need a permit - you DO need to leave no trace, and use a portable toilet and fire pan. Enjoy.
tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005   #4

YEs, both are required. Nobody will check. However, if you do plan on going to the bathroom and or having a fire, you should bring these items. That area is close to a permit process due to use and litter. a wag bag and ammo can and trash lid will cost you a total of $15.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #5
RC

I just did the run last weekend and found the campsites to be in really good shape because for the most part people are being conscientious and packing their shit and trash out. I agree with the last post, it really isn't difficult to find a way to pack your stuff out even with a kayak. Enjoy!
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #6

Re: Quick question on Loma / Ruby Horsethief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Anyone know if you need a toilet and fire pan for this one? Thinking of doing a self-support overnight float and certainly don't have room for either in a kayak. I know they are such nazis at the westwater put-in so I wanted to check on this. any beta appreciated. thanks.
No you can just poop wherever you want to and shit all over the beaches, thats what makes this run so beautiful! All the idiots POOP everywhere! You can also just build a fire wherever you want to and leave the black coals all over the beach, thereby adding to its beauty.

No seriously you shouldnt even have to ask. There are no overnight trips where it is still OK to poop in the sand. Even if the regulation dont say so you should know better.

Get a couple wag bags and an empty mayo jar and theres your shitter. If you cant run an overnight trip without a fire buy a stove.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #7

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
ah man i thought those were tootsie rolls.... i feel sick now.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #8

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Re: Quick question on Loma / Ruby Horsethief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
No you can just poop wherever you want to and shit all over the beaches, thats what makes this run so beautiful! All the idiots POOP everywhere! You can also just build a fire wherever you want to and leave the black coals all over the beach, thereby adding to its beauty.

No seriously you shouldnt even have to ask. There are no overnight trips where it is still OK to poop in the sand. Even if the regulation dont say so you should know better.

Get a couple wag bags and an empty mayo jar and theres your shitter. If you cant run an overnight trip without a fire buy a stove.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #9
sj

last memorial day the ranger stopped by our camp and asked to see both toliet and fire pan. he said they wanted you to have the pan even if you don't plan on liteing a fire. Just in case of emergemcy. Not to be too much of a butt head but I thought we were 20 years past asking such a question. Steve
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #10

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
so if you lay a bunch of saran wrap down is that a hot sandy carl?? is this method ok with the rangers??
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote