Quick Arkansas Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2011   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Quick Arkansas Update

Hi all,
As you all have no doubt noticed, snow pack in the Arkansas basin has jumped up considerably in the last two weeks. By mid-April, it was still slightly below average. Today, May 3, it's nearing 120% of average--and it's still snowing up there.

As a result, we're having to move more Fryingpan-Arkansas Project water from Twin Lakes. We're doing this via exchange with Pueblo Board of Water Works, so the releases will actually be coming from Clear Creek Reservoir. Releases will bump up in 50 cfs increments today and again tomorrow. By Friday morning, the total Fry-Ark Project release coming into the Arkansas River just upstream of Buena Vista should be around 300 cfs .

For those of you who follow the Voluntary Flow Program we participate in most years, this means we'll be bumping up out of that range, slightly.

As always, please let me know if you have any related questions. I'm heading up to Frisco for the State of the River meeting there tonight. I'll be on my cell at (970) 215-9545.

Best,
Kara

Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Thanks for the update Kara.
Old 05-03-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sweet. More water. Thanks Kara.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011   #4

Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
good news! thanks for keep us informed, kara.
A_Visceral_Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Thanks for the reply and beta, Kara!

Spade Hackle!
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #6

It is fair to say that the water will be big on the Ark this spring and summer. It is great too see some water being released now to help alleviate even higher flows later in the year and to take some pressure off of the reservoirs up stream. It is very well received by the outfitters and private paddlers here in the valley. In years past we have had to wait till later in May for additional flows. This will make for a great 2011. Thanks for the updates.
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
So what's the guess for a Saturday trip? With the added water it should be around 550 plus Thur and Fri will be in the mid to high 60's. It could be 600 to 750. Not bad at all for early season.
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
So what's the guess for a Saturday trip? With the added water it should be around 550 plus Thur and Fri will be in the mid to high 60's. It could be 600 to 750. Not bad at all for early season.

I'm guessing 585 at the Nathrop gauge...I'd bet two Schlitz and a turkeyleg on it.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #9

The next zone, .
Below is the latest FAP...

LHopkins:05/03/11

EC-1860 (Mt. Elbert Powerplant)
Eastern Colorado Area Office

EC-1200
PRJ-13.00

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Water Order FAP 11-27

Mount Elbert Powerplant, Attn: Facility Manager

Subject: Project Operations

GENERAL

As the snowpack in the Fry-Ark collection system is now at 173% of average, we will increase our project run from Twin Lakes to Pueblo. Clear Creek Reservoir has requested an exchange with our project water for approximately the first 10 days and adjusted their gates accordingly at 1200 hours today.

There is a huge snowpack in the upper Ark. This is the most snow I have seen in the upper basins since 1995.. Way more snow in than there was in 2007-08.

Yea get ready for a big water year here on the Ark.

The rest of the text..

The snowpack in our collection system is presently at 173% of average with more snow forecast for next week. This is well above where we were 10 days ago. As the average on the Arkansas basin has also climbed and is now at 119%, it has become less likely that we will be able to hold off additional releases until runoff.

We are presently releasing 200 cfs from Twin Lakes to Pueblo and have done our best to remain within the flow recommendations for the fishery. We have come to point that making additional releases is our only option at this time. Our plan is to increase the release to 300 cfs over the next two days. Pueblo Board of Water Works has asked for an exchange with Clear Creek so the additional 100 cfs will be released from Clear Creek for a period of approximately 10 days. After that, we will begin the additional release from Twin Lakes.
Old 05-04-2011   #10

salida, Colorado
anybody hitting #'s saturday or sunday???
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas